• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux fever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
we have Prime95.. I think it might be called mprime but it's there. I've also found decent replacements for CPU-Z, there's all kinds of system monitors, benckmarking apps, etc. I'd spend some more time looking around if it were me. and tarballs? don't worry about them. Use the package manager, always, unless you know exactly what you're doing. The only thing I install from source is DWM because that's how you customize it, and most people don't use tiling WMs (even though they are awesome, more of an advanced user thing)

I've used nothing but Linux for the last three years on my PCs, I prefer plain old Debian. Xfce on my laptop, DWM on my desktop.

Do any of these apps have GUI's?

Do any of these apps have GUI's?

Some do, some don't. Its pretty straight forward though in any case. I imagine there's always a GUI option but frankly once you get past command line fear you tend to go to easiest solution with is often CLI for this type of thing.

I'll give you some screenies when I get back to my system.

we have Prime95.. I think it might be called mprime but it's there. I've also found decent replacements for CPU-Z, there's all kinds of system monitors, benckmarking apps, etc. I'd spend some more time looking around if it were me. and tarballs? don't worry about them. Use the package manager, always, unless you know exactly what you're doing. The only thing I install from source is DWM because that's how you customize it, and most people don't use tiling WMs (even though they are awesome, more of an advanced user thing)

I've used nothing but Linux for the last three years on my PCs, I prefer plain old Debian. Xfce on my laptop, DWM on my desktop.

You like Debian better than say Mint? Can you tell me why?

You like Debian better than say Mint? Can you tell me why?

Sure. Debian is lighter by default and makes well tested releases every 2 years, as opposed to probably fine but not as tested Ubuntu (mint is Ubuntu plus extras) releases every 6 months. Also, Debian is a community project where as Ubuntu is run by a company, and Debian supports releases for longer then Ubuntu (excluding Ubuntu LTS releases, but even then Debian security support is usually longer) both are fine, just personal preference. I've found Debian also has more detailed releases notes and survives more dist-upgrades (upgrading from release to release). There's plenty of great distros though, don't take my opinion, feel free to try around. One thing Ubuntu/Mint does do better is out of the box hardware support- but its a simple matter to fix in Debian, who prefers a 100% FOSS main distro and non-free software in a separate repository. For beginners I usually recommend Linux Mint Debian Edition- but with a new release coming soon and current images old, regular Mint is fine too.

2015-03-16-224250_1280x800_scrot.png

This is from my secondary computer, my Samsung Chromebook running Debian Wheezy.

There's two GUI applications, gnome-system-monitor (which annoyingly won't obey my themeing because it's GTK3 and I'm using Xfce) and a front end for sensors. Then two terminals, one running top, a simple system monitor, and the other showing the output of a command that shows a ton of CPU related info. This is just an example, obviously I didn't overclock what is basically a netbook so I don't have a lot of that kind of software on this computer.

Been using Linux since 1995 with some previous knowledge of unix before that (worked for Sun Microsystems), been in love with Debian since 1998 and even today vanilla Debian is still my choice (running Jessie right now). As a secondary Linux OS, I really like Mint for all the features it comes out of the box after installation, however when I picked up a new Intel NUC I found that Debian runs much faster on it than Mint does but Debian takes a lot more effort to get everything setup the way I like it, even Cities: Skyline loads up faster on Debian. I also like to use Xfce4 or MATE sometimes, used to be a fan of KDE back in the days but I find it much too bloated now.

I've always liked Debian. I remember the days when you built Gentoo from scratch stage 1. It was fun the first few times, then it was a PITA, but people who learned Linux well enough that process ended up getting good IT careers. I like Mint Debian Edition now w/Cinnamon a derivative of GNOME.

I tend to like the "bloated" desktops myself.

I am a big fan of Gnome 3. In addition, we are in the process of merging the Deepin desktop into Antergos as an install option. We merged the packages yesterday and now I just have to make the option available in the installer

Last edited:
I just got into running linux on my computer.

After looking at a list of linux distrobutions, I decided to try Zorin because it was the last one on the list:screwy:,
I heard it's ubuntu based, I wouldn't know the difference.....

anyway, I fell in love with. I've heard alot of people bash it just because it was aimed at previous XP users,
, citing, that "linux is not windows"

I'm planning on experimenting with other distro's.
Someone told me Zorin was very heavy, so I tried out Puppy, But what can I say,
I guess I just really like the eye candy offered by a heavy OS,
Plus it had a really neat desktop trick, that when you press the middle mouse button, the Desktop turns into a 4-sided cube, allowing you to switch between desktops. If you connect an additional monitor, the cube turns into an octagon. , Super cool.
Anyway. Zorin is alright for linux noobs like me,
I also like how easy it is to get new programs from the software center, which I believe is just the Ubunutu software center !

Last edited:
Never heard of Zorin, but Ubuntu should be noob friendly out of the box however Mint has more functions out of the box than Ubuntu and is quite often polished.

Guess I'll give Zorin a go in a VM and see what it's like.

Back