• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Sneaky's Back!!! ==> Mean Green Gaming Machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm assuming that finish was a powder coat? It looks AWESOME!

If you don't mind me asking, about how much does a powdercoat job like that cost?

I had it done by Mountain Mods when I ordered the case. It was $150 for a regular powdercoat, $300 for two-coat powdercoat.

Absolutely friggin' awesome result with the candy topcoat over the silver vein base.

That's actually a pretty darn fair price for custom powdercoating!

Not bad at all considering they do all the prep work, plug the screw holes, shoot the powder, clean the gun, bake it, shoot a second coat over it, clean the gun again, and bake it again.

Not bad at all. Only bad if you're a little light in your wallet when buying a case. (Extended U2-UFO base price, + price of 2x custom panels, + price of the double powdercoat... not cheap, but well worth it.)

With a case already full of holes from the last project I was planning... I drilled even more so I could re-position the horizontal motherboard brace, then attached the brace using 6-32 screws & nuts -- note that I also drilled 4 holes in the top of the motherboard brace:
008_2mb.jpg
025_2mb.jpg

Then I attached standard 6-32 standoffs to the back of the motherboard:
006_2mb.jpg

Which correspond with the holes I drilled in the horizontal brace:
070_2mb.jpg

Then I attached the motherboard tray to the horizontal brace using thumbscrews threaded into the standoffs on the back side of the motherboard tray:
059_2mb.jpg

End Result:
023_2mb.jpg

I originally purchased this case with plans to install a eVGA SR-2 motherboard in it, and also planned to have the motherboard positioned vertically in the case as opposed to horizontally. Plans and hardware have changed, so in order to support the massive SR-2 motherboard tray, I moved the horizontal brace forward in the case and also attached the motherboard tray to the horizontal brace in order to provide greater support and stability than the original design and brace placement did. So far so good.

Next Mod: Need to re-mount the Lian-Li PC-A10 Hard Drive Cages to the bottom of the case in order to accommodate the motherboard brace that is now installed. This means even more holes in a case already full of holes. :facepalm:
081_2mb.jpg
(yes that's dust in the corners of the HDD cages... forgive me, they've been sitting in a closet for 3 years now.)

Last edited:
Holes Drilled:
085_2mb.jpg

Lian Li PC-A10 Hard Drive Cage Base positioned:
118_2mb.jpg

HDD Cage Bases attached using 6-32 screws and nuts:
102_2mb.jpg

Finished Result - everything snug as a bug in a rug:
120_2mb.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently I wasn't around when you were makeing this case...

I missed out. :(

That case is awesome! I love the paint job, the green just looks sick and the details in it are awesome :thup:
Nicely done :)

That was a bit smaller than i imagine, and i think you get rip off by MM :)
i got this GIANT case powdercoat for $250 at the local auto/paint shop green outside, jet black inside, yes, it's the Extender Ascension CYO

Attachments

• PICTURE 1.jpg
    PICTURE 1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 470
Apparently I wasn't around when you were makeing this case...

I missed out. :(

That case is awesome! I love the paint job, the green just looks sick and the details in it are awesome :thup:
Nicely done :)
Yeah, you joined OCF long after my initial "Zkylon B/Threshold" project log with this case in 2010-2011. I was incarcerated for the last 3 years, so everything just sat at my parents house and collected dust. Now that I'm out again, I couldn't resist pulling it out of the closet and putting something badass together.

And yeah, the dual-layer powdercoat is AWESOME. It turned out better than I ever could have imagined.

That was a bit smaller than i imagine, and i think you get rip off by MM :)
i got this GIANT case powdercoat for $250 at the local auto/paint shop green outside, jet black inside, yes, it's the Extender Ascension CYO
It is what it is. Included in the price was match powdercoating of 2x Laing D5 pump mounts, 2x MM 120mm HDD mounts, 3x 5.25" bay covers, 1x Lian-Li PC-75B power supply brace, 1x Sunbeam 5.25" rheostat bezel, 2x Lian-Li PC-A10 HDD Cages + bases, 1x Lian Li modular PSU mounting bracket, 10x Lian-Li PCI cover plates, 9x Thermochill 120.1 fan grills, and 9x wire fan grills. I think it was pretty fair considering everything. Your case only used half the powder it took to do my case... you had one color in and one color outside, mine was first done completely in silver vein and then on top of that went the psycho lime candy topcoat. Easily 5lbs of each powder. Oh.... and they match powdercoated a Zippo lighter for me as well, but the hinge on it broke because the powder was too thick and I couldn't get it to open or close without damaging the hinge.

Last edited:
Yeah... ASUS ROG, this is what I all had powdercoated for that price:

427custom-002.jpg
427custom-003.jpg
427custom-005.jpg
427custom-007.jpg
427custom-008.jpg
427custom-009.jpg
427custom-010.jpg
427custom-011.jpg
427custom-012.jpg
427custom-013.jpg
427custom-014.jpg
427custom-015.jpg
427custom-016.jpg
427custom-017.jpg
427custom-019.jpg
IMG_4932.jpg

Plus 3 windowed side panels

I'm not complaining about what they charged me at all considering the amount of stuff I sent them to match powdercoat.

Last edited:
This is the top window of the case:

IMG_4796_2mb.jpg

MODERATORS: If posting a photograph of the laser engraving which is word-for-word from the original WWII pesticide warning label is still considered to offensive and in poor taste, please delete this post. Thank you.

Last edited:
Spent the better part of the afternoon working on my Zippy PSL-6C00V 1200w PSU

Soldered the molex pins on and then crimped them... those boys aren't going anywhere:

067_2mb.jpg

Unfortunately I ran out of ATX/EPS/PCI-E molex pins, so I didn't get any of the PCI-E wires topped off, and I still need to top off the 4-pin leads and SATA leads with molex pins.

Last edited:
Well, considering that this project is no longer officially named "Zyklon B," I decided to change out the windows. Mountain Mods screwed up on my order originally anyways and gave me smoke windows instead of clear windows when I had this case done for me. Now that I'm finally putting this case to use, those smoke windows had to go. They looked fine, but I'm not huge on having lights in my case and the superhighway of wiring it takes to REALLY light your case up fully, which is in turn another pain in the *** to wire manage and conceal in a U2-UFO case... I'd rather have clear windows so you can see everything inside without needing lights.

Smoke Window:
024_2mb.jpg

Drilled out the rivets:
028_2mb.jpg
031_2mb.jpg
034_2mb.jpg

Reamed out the existing window-mounting holes with my Unibit and deburred the holes:
037_2mb.jpg
040_2mb.jpg

Buncha naked side panels:
046_2mb.jpg

And waiting to fill that void were new 1/8" clear acrylic windows that I had cut earlier and drilled 1/8" holes in for mounting:
056_2mb.jpg

One side panel finished with the new clear window mounted. I used flat-head socket-cap 6-32 screws w/ a nut & washer on the back side to mount the windows. I REALLY like the look of these flat-head allen screws when they've been countersunk and they mount flush with the surface of the case. Gives it a real clean buttoned-up appearance:
091_2mb.jpg
080_2mb.jpg

Unfortunately I ran out of screws to finish mounting all the windows... I managed to get one side panel completely done and the other two screwed down in each one of the four corners to hold the windows in place before I ran out of screws. Putting in a McMaster-Carr order later today to remedy that... and to pick up some other hardware for the rest of the case.

Last edited:
Back