• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8970m hitting 95° C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poker_jake85

Registered
I have a Sager NP8265 (Clevo P150SM) and the temp for the 8970m usually maxes out around 85°C. I was playing Dead Island last night and checked Afterburner after about a half hour.The temps were a steady 92°C with a max of 95°C. Is this a safe temp or should I try reapplying thermal paste?

Edit: This isn't an environment issue either. Same flat surface in an air conditioned room.

I would get that laptop on a cooling pad.
It is "safe", but it sounds like you need more airflow.

I tested it again, after a half hour average was 65°C with max of 68°C with 40% usage (60fps with v-sync on, seems more normal for a 3 year old game). I alt-tabbed out to check temps and then after I alt-tabbed back in game the temps rose sharply to 85°C and usage went up to 100%. So something about alt-tabbing out and then back in messes with the usage needed to run the game.

Last edited:
You still need more airflow for 100% usage though...

What happens when you play something more modern that actually needs full GPU usage?

I went ahead and removed the stock thermal paste (it was stuck like gum) and applied Arctic Silver and now at 100% temps max at 76°C

Nice improvement!
Sounds like it was pretty easy to get to (which is odd for a laptop)

Yeah, it wasn't too bad. Just had to remove the cover and then the heat sink. We'll see what it gets to after an hour or so of good gaming.

most of those laptops come with the option of paste replacement for that very reason.

most of those laptops come with the option of paste replacement for that very reason.

I agree, but it just started getting in the 90's this week and I've had this for 6 months. Also they wanted $30 to do it, a tube of Arctic Silver is $8 and takes less than 10 minutes to do. I figured I'd take my chances especially since I already had the paste.

the stock paste probably baked/cooked and stopped working properly.

using something like MX-2 or MX-4 / liquid pro ect never bakes.

AS5 should last quite awhile also.

For laptops id be worried about paste that bakes as when a laptop gets bumped around it has potential to crack that baked paste and make it stop working properly.

I personally just use MX-2 / MX-4 now a days for everything as it performs well and never bakes/sets up and also doesn't conduct electricity so if it somehow gets onto other things it wont effect anything negatively.

But like i said if you already used AS-5 you should be good for a while without issues.

Back