• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Macbook Pro Keyboard Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AJTheGamer

So I've got this Macbook Pro i5 2010 model that I've been meaning to sell, was working perfectly fine, until the cat (very very tiny cat mind you) sat on the keyboard, she slept for like an hour, got up, and then my A to L keys (a,s,d,f,g,h,j,k,l) stopped working.

I've done nearly everything I can think of other than pulling it completely apart, wondering (if any of you even use or have worked on Macs/Macbooks) if they've seen this issue before, or similar issues, and how to fix it, or how hard it is to successfully pull apart and rebuild one of these 2010 Macbook Pros..?

Any help or advice would be great, as the dude at the computer store told me like $500 to fix it and I was all 'nah way' so I hope I can sort this myself.

If you list the specific model I could help more.

But on some, your able just to pull the keyboard area out and replace it. Some require you to replace the whole keyboard/palm rest area.

Even though I despise Mac's, I do not see how the cat did such a thing as Mac's are typically built pretty well. It almost sounds like some of the pins that connect to the motherboard/logic board are now disconnected.

Your sure the cat did not urinate on the keyboard?

Pretty sure thats the correct model

Yeah was my thoughts about the cat situation, I was using it, cat sat on it, so I let her go, I'm like 1000% sure she didn't urinate on it, and about 99.99% sure she wasn't even slightly wet in any way, once she moved, which was the only thing to happen between me typing and then my trying to type again, so was either COMPLETELY the cats fault, or not at all. lol :p

For future reference, the exact model can be found by using the code that looks like "MC371LL/A" on the bottom of the laptop.

Looking on ebay, it looks like they sell replacement keyboards for that laptop. But I am not sure if your the kind of person to work on your own Macbook.

I would say if it is still under warranty, then obviously have them replace it, but I doubt you do since it is 4 years old.

Nope not under warranty.

I'm pretty decent with pulling things apart, I found a guide, I have family who own a PC store but they didnt seem very keen on 'lending their labor' to such a task, looks like its on me...

Read a few stories where some kinda small water damage occurred, and after a few months came back to life, so hoping its that, but I'm doubting it, perhaps if I slowly pull it apart along with a guide I'll find the issue before I have to completely dismantle it.

Back