• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HGST 2TB 7200RPM Refurb Hard Drives $48.70ea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchur83

I just bought 8 of these refurbished HGST 2TB 7200RPM HDs last week for $54.99each. They are fully Refurbished, the SMART Stats are reset so no idea how much time is actually on the drives. So far out of the first 8 I had one DOA and one with a couple reallocated sectors (but Newegg is replacing them), but the drives are fast (110MB/s+) and seem like a really good deal for a Raid6 solution. The first batch I received were all dated Oct 2009 I believe, so they have a few years on them.

Today I came across a deal for 25% off Newegg Refurbished equipment which brings the drives to $48.70 each. The drives state a $10 discount code, don't use that one, use the one below for 25% off. I just bought 10 more. There is I believe a $200 limit on the coupon though and it is good for 72hrs from last night. It came in the Newegg Promo email so I'm not sure if it will work if you aren't signed up for the promos. YMMV.

Good Luck!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145941

Promo Code (25% off): BTEPCHB36

Last edited:
Out of stock for us Canucks on the newegg.ca site :(

Crap... and I really need a new drive for my backups too. Meh.

Not sure I would trust a refurbished.

They had a 1.5Tb on sale not too long ago. I purchased a drive. The first one was DOA. The second one seems to be chugging along ok. All my mission critical stuff is on SSDs. This drive has the unimportant stuff.

I've always been super weary of refurb HDDs, to many uncontrollable variables. What was the drive inside of, how hard was it's life, was it power-cycled often on up 24/7? And 1 of 8 or 1 of 2 being DOA isn't much of an assurance. :(

I'm finicky when it comes to drive warranty, too. I try to offload my drives when there's 1-1.5yrs left on them to avoid issues in the future. Granted WD has an amazing replacement program IMO, as does SeaGate last time I had to use it, and the advanced replacement for both companies is outstanding. I just don't like the "what if" factor of a HDD issue. :D

Really good deal if you have a box that needs a spare game drive or something, but I wouldn't put anything on them that would bother you if it disappeared.

Back