• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bi-Amped Speaker Post Link

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

Sorry for the potentially confusing title...

I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkins DM601 S3 speakers that I bought used. New, they come with a pair of Copper Plates that link the posts in the back.

Like this:
79770_1.jpg

However, mine do not have these. I have typically used a 3-4" piece of speaker wire to connect the posts. I have been scouring Google for a while, and can't seem to find anywhere that makes these, or even if / how you can buy them direct from B&W.

Any thoughts? I'd rather not have to cut and terminate 4 more pieces of speaker wire than I have to.

You won't be able to get replacement as the design is specific to old b&w... Once there lost... There lost.

Just get some open end spade connectors and a short piece of speaker cable and bridge them yourself.

I have some new b&W and there totally different so no point contacting the manufacturer.

DSC_0530.JPG

You can always go by a copper cheet and make them your self.

Yes true enough its just two simple notches out of a short piece of bar.

Or short runs of speaker cable with 4mm banana plugs.

Really makes little difference so long as there's an electrical connection... Wire coat hanger formed to loop over the post will do :D lol

Bar? That implies thick. I'm sure 1/16th is plenty thick enough for the purpose it is used for... And likely exponentially cheaper... As is speaker wire already mentioned.

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like speaker wire might be the best solution available.

Post pics when its done!!! :thup:

"sheet" was the term floating around in my head...:clap:

I quite understand where your comming from edog.

It's more my NVQ level 3 and city and guilds in engineering that drilled terminology into me. Lol

I even had a procedure list forming in my head on the originals.

1. Cut bar to length
2. Mark holes centres
3. Scribe notching
Blah blah...

Its a precise business that engineering and if I got it wrong some oil soaked instructor maniac would chase me around the workshop with a bar... More than 1mm thick. Lol

Anyhoo...

Final thought is always terminate a single wire to the top binding posts... As the high frequency driver needs every chance of receiving a good electrical connection :salute:

Out of curiosity, have you tried to contact B&W? If not, I can ask my local shop if they can source 'em if you really want them.

BTW: Go Bears!

Out of curiosity, have you tried to contact B&W? If not, I can ask my local shop if they can source 'em if you really want them.

BTW: Go Bears!

That would be awesome if you could put out some feelers for me! The speaker wire is working OK right now, but I'm sure the original posts are designed for the ideal connection. :thup:

Unless someone has some laying around and actually knows what there for it aint gonner happen.
More importantly it wont make any difference.

If you want to really make sure its not effecting things (though its not anyhoo) then buy more cable and us them without the bridge.

Yes you can use two runs of cable from a single set of amplifier posts :thup:

My former roommate had a 7.1 amp that had a bi-amp feature, so we used that. Mine is just 5.1 without a biamp feature, though.

I was hoping to avoid bare cable if it was possible, to avoid oxidation, but I'm not sure it is.

Still improvement to be had from bi-wire. Two runs of cable terminated at the same amplifier posts. How much depends on the equipment used :)

It would make even more sense to have two separate output stages for the high and low frequencies. The high frequencies need less voltage and lower voltage MOSFETs are easier to switch fast. There's just not much hardware out there that supports such a configuration.

That would be awesome if you could put out some feelers for me! The speaker wire is working OK right now, but I'm sure the original posts are designed for the ideal connection. :thup:

So B&W flat out doesn't have them available anymore. So wire it is.

Back