• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4K gaming setup or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, I have. You can get away with no AA which helps a lot as far as performance goes. Where I take exception (as I said, Im apparently an IQ snob) is to lower everything else. Id rather play at 1440p with all the eye candy than play at 4k with settings turned down.

You also have those FPS snobs that 'require' 60FPS which a single card, which in many titles, a single card cannot accomplish.

As I said, if one can accept turning things down for playable frame rates, it can be a single card solution. But to me, its just not.

Last edited:
Yes, I have. You can get away with no AA which helps a lot as far as performance goes. Where I take exception (as I said, Im apparently an IQ snob) is to lower everything else. Id rather play at 1440p with all the eye candy than play at 4k with settings turned down.

You also have those FPS snobs that 'require' 60FPS which a single card, which in many titles, a single card cannot accomplish.

As I said, if one can accept turning things down for playable frame rates, it can be a single card solution. But to me, its just not.

What a snob! J/K mate :D I feel where you're coming from no doubt. Not a damn thing wrong with 1440P gaming! Cheers!

You'll have to clarify your meaning of dead. 4K certainly isn't the standard yet. Are you saying 1440/1600 panels will drop out of production before 1080 does?
LOL, no doubt. 1440p gaming just took hold really with the release of the Korean IPS panels...Its going to be a while before 4K gaming is the standard. Its not even remotely close, nor will it be in a year. The monitors are too expensive and so is the hardware to run things properly.

Yeah I just picked up a quality 1080p and I think I'll switch to 1440 in a year or two when I upgrade GPUs. Haha

Thank you all for helpful replies!

I think I will wait for the GeForce 800 series, get one of those and stick to non-4K for some time until I get some cash to buy another GPU and turn my rig to a 4K one.

I just bought a U28D590D. It's pretty nice.
A few random thoughts

4K for FPS games or 3rd person action games does not feel worth the performance hit. ie AC4, Tomb Raider, BF4 vs 1440p

Isometric view games like RTSs and ARPGs look amazingly clear. ie. Diablo 3, Civ5, Simcity and are are 60fps playable with a single 780

Also WoW looks way better for some reason

Black levels are as terrible as ever on TN Panels (vs. IPS)

I plugged in my PS4 and and Monitor displays 1080p content quite well

Last edited:
I just bought a U28D590D. It's pretty nice.
A few random thoughts

4K for FPS games or 3rd person action games does not feel worth the performance hit. ie AC4, Tomb Raider, BF4 vs 1440p

Isometric view games like RTSs and ARPGs look amazingly clear. ie. Diablo 3, Civ5, Simcity and are are 60fps playable with a single 780

Does the PS4 have the ability to output 4K yet? I know it won't game at that res but any video playback?

just bought a U28D590D. It's pretty nice.
A few random thoughts

I've had the same experience too. The way games react to 4k is very hit-or-miss, even newer games can barely look any different, but older games can look FANTASTIC with 4k.

The very obscure geopolitical simulator I play for fun, Superpower 2, reacted fantastically to it. Came out in 2004 to crappy reviews, but I like it. No suport anymore, in fact there hasn't been any for years. If you go to Wikipedia's links to sites related to the game, 99% are 404 errors.

I expected the buttons to be tiny and stuff to be unreadable but it looks great, completely playable.

Speaking of which, I think someone ought to make a topic about games (new or old) which react well or poorly to 4k. Most newer games will obviously skew toward reacting well, but every once and a while you get one that simply looks no different than 1080p.

Many older games don't adapt to your monitors native resolution, they have built in set resolutions that go no higher than a certain point. Adding tips on how to tweak the game to run in 4k would be nice also, It can be as simple as tweaking a .cfg file (Superpower 2) or as complicated and annoying as hex editing the .exe file for the game (Roller Coaster Tycoon... sigh)

Back