• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte’s GV-R797OC-3GD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Got this on a great deal from White Runner and I can't wait to run it. However he did state that one of the fans ran slower than the other two, and as you know me I had to investigate.

Upon careful inspection, the fan's bearing was dried out, and there's noway of lubricating it as it's sealed :-/

I shot off an email to Gigabyte for some replacements, but I have yet to hear back from them :rolleyes:

So while I'm searching around for a good alternative to cool the card down, I just decided to plop a pair of 120's on it with zipties.

Of course I did the usual, remove said sink, clean off old TIM, wash sink in sink :rofl:, and then once dried out good, applied some fresh MX4, reattach the sink and plop the fans on.

Fans are a pair of coolermaster case fans rated @ 44.9cfms @ 19dba :D I'm sure that's plenty of cooling power with less noise over the stock triple fan setup.

I did take pics, however being on this pos E2200 box, I can't post them up.

Still awainting new board/chip to arrive to put all this back together :thup:

Heh, I got the other one :p
Sittin' pretty on the bench right now, I'll probably re-TIM it soon.

Ahhh, lucky dog you! ;)

Well after putting my new rig back together, card runs idle @ 32c and loads up around 60ish using Kumbustor/Heaven. I say that isn't too bad :)

Flashed to the GHz bios. Running 1100/1500 as stock speeds :D

Followed this guide and viola! ;)

Still voltages locked, but I can ramp up the Power Limit in Afterburner and have a little more headroom. Sux it's voltages are locked, but oh well. Still an awsome card upgrade from the 7870 I was running before.

I noticed in Unique Heaven my card comes up as a 280x :rofl:

Flashed to the GHz bios. Running 1100/1500 as stock speeds :D

Followed this guide and viola! ;)

Still voltages locked, but I can ramp up the Power Limit in Afterburner and have a little more headroom. Sux it's voltages are locked, but oh well. Still an awsome card upgrade from the 7870 I was running before.

I noticed in Unique Heaven my card comes up as a 280x :rofl:

Catzilla tried to auto-submit to HWBot with my 280X's as 7970s :rolleyes:

If the voltage really bothers you, you could always modify the bios. I had to do it to under-volt some cards on my miner.

Well I'd like a little more pep unda da hood ;) I remember modifying the vga bios ages ago with nibitor (sp?) for nvidia cards, but I haven't done it since.

Here's a pic with the 120's on it:

Attachments

• DSC00174.JPG
    DSC00174.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 74
Used VBE7 to modify the voltages. I also disabled that boost crap :rolleyes:

Under performance tab max voltage is 1.256v. More than enough. Running Heaven max temps floated between 68c-70c :)

Yeah, card is rocking fast and temps are great.:D

*Update*

Gigabyte just replied back to my email, and I spoke to a CSR. I had to reply back with a pic of the fans and model # for the RMA. Looks like they're going to send me new fans!

Yeah, card is rocking fast and temps are great.:D

*Update*

Gigabyte just replied back to my email, and I spoke to a CSR. I had to reply back with a pic of the fans and model # for the RMA. Looks like they're going to send me new fans!

Glad you got the voltage cranked!

And here's to Gigabyte support! :beer:

Back