• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how can I overclock my Celeron Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

halo64654

Hi everybody,

I have been trying to overclock my Celeron Processor on my HP G71 Laptop. i've been trying to overclock it for a long time, but for some reason it appears to be locked/restricted in the BIOS? :confused: ...and I have decided to downgrade the OS to windows XP (because I've heard the celeron 1st came out in windows Xp) sense the processor cant keep up with the programs, videos and games that I ran on it with windows 7.

It runs smoother now but still effy on loading videos in full screen and on some games that don't require much under the hood to run. :shrug:

so this is about my last stop here and im hopeing someone can help me with my problem im haveing

- Halo64654 :thup:

Companies like hp generally lock the multipliers so you cannot overclock them and ruin hardware of theirs, especially laptops. They generally can't be over clocked.

Of course it's locked, its a laptop.

That is by design, otherwise people would crank up the overclock and heat up the laptop to the point is dies. Then they would RMA it and all sorts of crap costing a lot of money.
To put it simply, you are unlikely to be able to overclock it at all.

Also, yeah the celly came out around then, but they still make Celerons today so....

So, what exact Celeron is it? I don't understand the move to downgrade the os...if the cpu is that old, and in a laptop, overclocking really shouldn't happen as was mentioned above. You can try using setfsb or clockgen but you need to find the proper ppl number to do so. Even.then without voltage changes your overclock will be limited if it can handle it (temps) in the first place.

In the olden days when you could increase the BUS speed, you could overclock a laptop without really increasing the CPU clock or vcore. Just drop 1 multi and kick the FSB up. Nowadays that is no longer possible... so overclocking laptops is a bad idea.

Not only that, you have a locked chip. Since Intel implemented the second gen (Sandybridge) i series chips, they have all been locked with the exception of CPUs with a number ending in K, and the new Pentium G3258. Other than that, you are out of luck.

Back