• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have a $400 budget and a dream.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shoutout33

Registered
First of all, aplogies to the moderators if I'm placing this post in the wrong section. I'm asking a question for both brands (Nvidia & AMD), and I thought it'd be unecessary, to post the same thing in both threads.

As the title box states, I have up to a $400 budget to spend on a graphics card. Although I'm an AMD nut, (CPU is an FX-8150) I really don't have any loyalty to graphics cards. I will say that I have been trying my best to find a R9 280X that has very good reviews and fit in my rig (10.6"), but have not been successful. (Note: Used Newegg for the reviews.) Nivida, I've found, seems to fit more power in a smaller card. I was shocked to see that I could fit up to a GXT 780Ti in my case!

So now, I come to you, my fellow gamers for direction. It really doesn't matter what I have in my system, as long as I can do full eye-candy at 1080p (I don't think my 50" plasma, can go higher than that.) with current and future AAA; keep the 650psu I have; and stay within the budget and size I mentioned above, I'm good.

Other rig info: 16 GB ram

Thanks tons in advance for your help and replies.

PS

How do I find out if my PSU has 42 amps on a +12 volt rail? Saw this a lot with the Nvidia cards while I was looking at Newegg.

What model is your PSU? Just knowing 650W doesn't help.
There will be a sticker on the PSU itself somewhere with brand/model/voltage/current.

Your problem is going to be card length...

Newegg reviews are garbage...they are only good to show DOA's for the most part. ;)

As far as amperage, look at the label on the PSU... or list the exact model here.

You're safe on the PSU, those are good units.

I would grab an EVGA GTX 770 ACX. They're 10.5" long, run very quiet, and keep the GPU nice and cool.

ATMINSIDE,

My bad, but I did have one more question. If I could find a GTX 780 under $400, would you recommend it? Of course I'm looking on Ebay, but is that a deal breaker? I could list what I see on there like I did my PSU if it helps. I'm sold on the GTX 770, but if I could get a 780 in the same price range...

Size... make sure the 780 actually fits. In reference form its 10.5" long so be careful about aftermarket solutions extending its overall length.

If you can get one of the EVGA ACX 780s under $400, go for it.

I would steer away from the reference cooler and some of the aftermarket coolers are okay at best (unless you get to a longer card).

I'm not expert but I've been looking into the R9 280x and the 290, and you can pick them up pretty cheap second hand on eBay...

Save some money and buy a new case that fits it :p

I'm not expert but I've been looking into the R9 280x and the 290, and you can pick them up pretty cheap second hand on eBay...

Save some money and buy a new case that fits it :p

I would but, the cards are to long, reference or not and my PSU isn't enough to handle them either. :(

Your PSU can handle them easily...

But I believe they are both too long regardless as you already mentioned.

Yeah most R290's I've even been finding have been 11"+ in length. General rule I've come by is if in a case, allow for 12-12.5" for the card just to get airflow and cable routing at least.

As for GPU's and aftermarket coolers. I always try to go that route after I went with stock cooler a while back. It worked OK but in the long run it was just too dang hot and low OC overhead because of it.

Back