• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx-6300 vs G3258 Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ds9Defiant1701

Registered
Hi,

I just want to know wich cpu should i take for gaming?

Fx-6300 or Pentium G3258?

So what should i take? The AMD one or the intel one?

Thanks for help.

The Pentium is only dual core so you will be limited. The 6300 will do well but will need some overclocking to get the IPC up. Have you considered a 4590k insted?

If i go intel i would start with a Pentium and after go on a 4690K/5670K(if they are released when i change) if i go amd i will not change before some years i think.

So what should i do?

If you're basing this mostly on price then I'd probably go with Intel. Make sure you get a board with the z97 chipset so you can OC. I would still try and squeeze the 4690k into your build tbh.

Hands down the fx 6300. The pentium may offer better single core, but any game that uses 3-4 cores if not more (battlefield, new call of duty, crysis) the cpu will choke.

I saw a benchmark of a 4.8ghz pentium. It slightly beat out a 4.5ghz athlon x4 760k. 4.8 on these new pentiums is rare too. Most cap out at 4.5.

Yes but i don't think my Psu will support Fx-6300 i have thermaltake TR2 430W but some people say its only 305W i don't know if its 430 or 305...

You'd be better off buying the athlon then. Athlon x4 760k, decent a88x fm2+ motherboard, and a new psu. Trust me when I say this. If you get the pentium, you'll regret it a few months later. It is good for super cheap gaming pcs and for fun for benching. It will show its limits quick if you intend to play any newer games. The athlon is a compromise. Decent single thread performance when overclocked. Still good multithread for the new games.

Last edited:
Which one. The 6300 or the athlon. Athlon gets beat by the pentium yes. I didn't see recent athlon vs pentium benchmarks until now. Nevermind about the athlon. I guess the pentium would be OK. You can always upgrade to an is in the future.

yes and i had FM2 Asus Motherboard but burned lol...

Well I mean to be honest, the pentium only barely beats the athlon 750k both stock and overclocked. Sometimes by less than a single fps. Keep in mind that the cores not only effect gaming. Take into consideration multitasking. Say you want to minimize bf4 and browse the Web while waiting in lobby. Gonna take more of a strain on the dual core compared to a quad.

From a personal stand point, I don't like intel. I don't like their business practices, or their super premium price tag for the 4% gaming performance increase placebo.

So as a final note, based on the minimal performance difference, I still recommend the athlon x4. Plus the 860k based on steamroller cores is dropping soon. That could be a game changer.

Back