• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back to school Laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kemosabe89

So after getting a r9-290 vapor-x. I find myself in need of a decent all over laptop to use for college. I have 2 books that will be entirely online and will have to use it for notes and homework. I am looking for the absolute best in my budget. Score will be kept to see what is the general all over best by everyone.

Use:
Notes
Movies
Math HW
Physics HW
World of Warcraft/Sniper elite

Needs:
CPU: i5-4200U or better
GPU: if possible within budget
HDD: 750-1tb
SSD: if possible within budget
Ram: 8-12gb or more if within budget
Screen: min 1920x1080p 13"+
Keyboard: Number pad is a MUST!

Budget $500-$800 USD

I have a wife so it has to fly with her first. I understand that any laptop wont compare to my Sapphire r9-290 vapor-x. But It must be able to last me 2-5 years while i finish my Computer Systems Engineering degree at ASU. Please help me out cuz I know desktops but laptops are a different animal.

P.S. Dont recomend a pink laptop please. Unless its godly for the price. :)

I will also consider a laptop with only 4gb Ram and i can upgrade it myself with a 4 or 8gb stick if price is good

Ok Been shopping around havent had time for anything. Just had a Daughter about 18 days ago and finally have some time to get my head on stright. As far a budget goes. I do not want to spend $1000 even though i have the money. I want the best bang for the buck as this is going to be a Computer Systems Engineer College laptop with some GPU preformance to pass time.

Is the intel i5-4210U that much better then a A10-7300?

Is the GTX 840 the same or Much better then a R7-M260?

Is the R7-M260 that much better then a R7-M265?

WHY is sager pc so much more expensive for the same thing on newegg? x550LNV-NB51

Which CPU is better for a laptop so it dosent feel slower then my i5-2500k @5ghz:
i5-4200M
i5-4210U
A10-7300
i7-4510U

I want to keep it now around $700 with a good warrenty. Including refurb if it has a warranty.

You can easily get something that fits all of your needs (except the GPU) for < $500. I picked up an i5, 6gb RAM, 750gb hdd ASUS for my wife open boxed from Best Buy for $285, and that was a year ago.

What types of games do you want to play that would require a GPU?

So I chose to buy the Asus x550LNV-NB51. Its an i5-4210U with a genforce gt 840, 750gb and 8gig ram, monitor rez 1920x1080p

Back