• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Case Labs Mercury S3 Rad Mounting Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

I'm looking to do an ITX watercooled gaming build and was hoping to have a few questions answered before commiting to a case.

I'm hoping to have the equivalent of 2 x 240mm worth of radiators inside, but I'd also like to have an optical drive in there as well. If I were to use both a top and front mounted 240 rad, that only leaves a shallow 5.25 bay (enough for a fan controller and not much else).

Does anyone know if a 240mm side mounted radiator bracket (http://www.caselabs-store.com/s3-120-2-140-2-radiator-side-mount/) would work with the windowed/ventilated side panel (at the bottom)?

Or if I mount a 120 rad in the front and back of the case and 240 in the top, would the top and back interfere with each other? I'm only going to be using 30mm thick rads.

Bonus question: Say I'm looking for a custom color, does Case Labs do custom colors or will I need to powdercoat it elsewhere?

Thanks for the help and apologies for all the questions. I've asked Case Labs but they have yet to respond (and I'm a tad impatient...)

the 120 up front and in back I do not think will work.

I would think about killing optical drive and use 240's in front and up top.

I can't think of any reason to have an optical drive anymore, have not had one in any builds of mine over the last four years or so.

Use thumb drive or you could use a USB optical for when you simply have to have one.

Last time I checked you could get white, Black or grey primmer ready for your paint

Looks like there is room you could also double down on the rads in front meaning using stand off rods to maximize separation

Thanks Witchdoctor. I did think about leaving the optical drive out, but I have a nagging feeling I'll need it if I do. I'm building it for my girlfriend and I'd hate to leave her without one if she needs it. Might just have to get her an external one to go with it...

I've decided to go with a pedestal for the S3. Total, I'll get 3 x 240mm rads with plenty of room for a bay res, fan controller and optical drive. We do watch DVDs and Blu-rays so that would be nice not to have to use an external drive for it. Plus a bay res would make space management considerably easier.

Thanks again for the suggestions. May start a build log once the case arrives.

Back