• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell-E/X99

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bishoff

So whom all is jumping in at launch? I personally can't wait to drop my current board and switch teams. Will be my first Intel build...enthusiast class anyway.

Not me, not now.. I am waiting for a 12 cores :) in order for me to justify the spending for upgrade.

So far it doesn't look any special. I guess that overclocking results and general performance will be most important.
Right now it looks like like move from Ivy Bridge to Haswell. Faster but no one really cares. I also doubt that many users will decide on 8 core CPU.
First motherboards look like X79 with M.2 slot so also nothing special.

If there won't be any other DDR4 platform in this year then maybe I will decide but more for tests and reviews as I don't really need anything faster for daily work.

The 8 core chip will be dominant for 3D Vantage and higher. Thinking if you want to be competitive you will need this platform with the flagship CPU.

Unfortunately the price of admission will be high. :(

Depends what you want to test. It will help only with the latest graphics and on SLI/CF setups as all older hardware is already too slow to see any special difference in total score. Vantage on 5.2GHz 4930K gives about 50k CPU score when most older cards can make 10-20k so results depend more from CPU clock than cores as all tests except physics are running on maybe 2 cores only.
As I said all depends how these CPUs will overclock. If they make 5.5GHz on SS/Dice then even 6 cores will be good for everything as performance core to core will be also higher. Cheapest 6 cores should cost about $450-500 what is pretty good price but if they won't OC better than IB-E then it can be bad idea to spend lot of money for this platform.

I bet that 90% results in rankings on 8 cores will base on ES samples and most guys who have access to ES will also get top gfx cards and it's hard to compete with them. You can count that maybe 50 overclockers are pushing this top hardware. All others are overclocking their own hardware or review samples that they usually want to sell later , not to kill while benching.

One good thing is that 10-12 core Xeons will be much cheaper when new series will be available. Since 2011 platform is running fine up to ~170bclk then even lower series CPU can make 4.5GHz+.

We have to wait for the 1st results on LN2 to find out if it's really worth something.

I agree, hoping the 6 core 5820K will be in the $ 350.00 range and we don't see the $ 500.00 price tag until the 5930K. The 5930K will not make much sense since the entry level CPU will be a six core w/ht

Reading through the specs all you get for going mid line will be 200MHz on the base clock and 2x 16x PCIe lanes as opposed to one.

I really do not see either of these CPU's making much sense if you already have a 4930K platform.

I think we will see guys making the jump to 8 cores coming from 3930K's. for benching. x79 is so old these CPU's could make sense for professional use as they will have all the connectivity and perks of the Z97 platform.

As you state though from a benching perspective we can only wait to see how these chips scale with cold and how much they will make a difference.

I count that in Polish Zloty so will cost about 25-30% more than in US ;)

Most of those who had 3930k already moved to 4930k or 4960x .. or maybe those who are benching. X79 was a fail at start. This chipset was much stronger on the paper but Intel had problems with stability so had to cut something here and there. Like it supposed to have 12 port SATA/SAS controller and more pcie lines what we've never seen. For me it's still better platform than Z87/Z97 even though it's much older.

In my daily PC there is A8 6600K @4.7GHz so if I decide on Haswell-E then X79 will replace that AMD. I just don't want to sell so good platform for half price.

I hear that, I use x79 for my everyday use and gaming
Does great for me and rocks for gaming

Passed on the 2 core set up for benching as tring to save cash for an x99 benching platform
TBH though the 8 core is really the only thing that stands out other than some architectural improvements for me

I really think this will be the only way to compete with newer 3D and will really elevate 8 core 2d points as a whole

The 8 core server chips let just say are going to get served.... Lol

Last edited:
Being I'm still on X58, I will be, though I don't know that it will be at launch. Depends if board manufacturers make what I want.

Hoping for an x99 OCF factory conformal
If there is even going to be one. They sat out on x79 :-(

Sure they will drag their feet with The REV

Maybe the SOC will be first to market ?

No other boards really interest me as in my case it will be a benching platform

For productivity and gaming I am sure we will see the usual suspects early on trying to grab what is sure to be a small demographic

I'm on the fence on this (plus a little tight on moolah atm) 'upgrade'. My most modern setup (excluding a handfull of fm2 apu's and decent oc mobo) is x79 with a 5.5GHz 3930k. Just am not sure the new stuff's worth the price of admission.

Will wait until it's out and there are lots of reviews, etc. With so few pcie lanes, it seems like it'd be great for 2D's and single (or maybe dual) vga 3D's only.

I likely won't be unless something inspirational comes out about the platform. I'm running a 4930k. Considering this is an all-purpose machine I don't see myself moving up to the 8-core 5960X because of the lower frequency and the others at this point sound like too small of an upgrade for the effort of replacing memory, motherboard, etc.

Do the 2600.00 Xeons with 12 cores and HT get a 7.9 on the Win 7 Experience? :) I think I read you can still access it in Win8 with some command.

I've been riding my dinosaur for the last 3 or 4 years.. I wouldn't mind sliding into a new 8 or 12 core :thup:

5.5 on a hex is pretty decent.. Probably not worth upgrading that :D

I was tempted to buy the crosshair V to replace this buggy, inefficient UD3 but I'm also thinking I'm still holding myself back with this older platform. I'm going all in with Haswell-E and have set aside $1500 for the 8-core, high end Asus, and DDR4. Hopefully it won't cost me that much but if necessary I'm willing to do it. Should be a nice upgrade for several years and all I'll need is grafx later on down the rd.

Nice plan, but thinking $ 1500.00 will fall the price of the memory short

With a ROG and top of the line stix thinking $ 1,800.00 will be the price of admission :(

Back