• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Razer BlackWidow Disassembly Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

I'm in the process of switching the Cherry MX Blue switches in my Razer BlackWidow keyboard to the silent Brown ones (in addition to adding LED back lights turning into an ultimate version) and ran into a snag taking it apart.

I desoldered all the old switches but still couldn't pry the steel plate from the PCB. There were white plastic pegs holding the plate on, and the only way I could get the plate off was to break them. Now I'm having a hard time trying to source new ones to replace them, let alone figuring out what they're called...

I've included a picture in hopes somebody could help me identify them. Thanks in advance!

image.jpg

Thanks bob4933. I can't believe that thought didn't cross my mind. I'm in the midst of corresponding with them, and hopefully they'll be able to provide an answer.

It's not crucial for me to replace them I suppose. The steel plate that holds the switches is soldered to the PCB at various points. I am just hoping that it wouldn't put too much stress on the PCB if only the solder is holding the plate on.

If so, I guess it just gives me a reason to upgrade to the new BlackWidow Ultimate Chroma that was recently announced (of course, after I've decided to mod my old one...)

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-chroma

Thank you for the suggestion. Truly appreciated.

I did poke around a bit, couldn't find anything, sorry. Not sure if sarcasm or not, just feel it's going to be a proprietary part and they are likely the only ones to have it.

On a side note, that keyboard looks absolutely insane :O. Gonna have to get that....

I was hoping that you wouldn't misconstrue my comment as sarcasm :(

I was being sincere, I really do appreciate your help. It's difficult to convey tone through writing...

It's definitely not a standard part. I scoured the net trying to find anything... I'm hoping they can at the very least sell me a spare set, but if not the keyboard will still work. I'll just have to be careful not to handle it too roughly.

If nothing else, this was a great learning experience. Mechanical keyboard disassembly used to frighten me :p

Oh, not sure if you saw this but there's a video of the Chroma in action. It looks so much nicer than the site I linked earlier:

Yeah I saw that last night dude. That keyboard looks fantastic. I don't normally go for the "bells and whistles" but that may just be "too cool" to pass up for me haha. Have you had experience with Razer's switches?

No worries about the sarcasm thing, it was a pretty lame duck answer on my part anyway haha.

No I haven't, unfortunately. I bought my keyboard before they started using their own, and I'd think a huge part of it would be personal preference. I've seen people who love them and ones who hate them.

The switches in my keyboard are blue, but I'm swapping them out for the browns. I can't stand the clicking personally. If I get the Chroma in the future, it'll definitely be the stealth edition.

Well, that blew up in my face gloriously...

I actually got all of the LEDs working, but when I went to put it back together, some keys weren't registering. Not sure what I did, but I can't quite figure out how to fix it.

I did isolate it to a problem with the PCB itself, not the switches. Somewhere along the line I must have damaged the traces.

Looks like I'll be waiting till September for Razer to release the new BlackWidows...

Razer is using their own modified Kahil switches instead of Cherry switches, just an FYI on that.

TheSLSAMG said:
- Non-extensive/exhaustive testing (sans Razer switches)
- Lower cost, and generally found on cheaper keyboards
- Large consistency difference from key to key. One key on a Kailhua keyboard can feel entirely different from another.
- It's a clone switch, manufactured cheaply with little to no research being done on Kailhua's end.

I would spend no more than $60 at the max for one. Inconsistent, poorly made, and lifetime is far less than that of Cherry. Razer is a poor excuse of a company when quality is concerned.

Thanks for the info, sobe. Any suggestions as to what to get?

I saw Corsair's new RGB line with some amazing LED effects, the K70 and K95. Both will be released soon with red switches with brown coming later for the K70 (not sure about K95).

Which begs the question, should I opt for the red or brown switches? On the one hand, I like the tactile feel of the blue and brown switches, but on the other hand it's a longer wait :p I play mostly MMORPGs...

This is my opinion, keep that in mind, but if I weren't getting one of the big brands that have been doing Mechanical for a long time, Corsair would be a good one to go for. I say that because Corsair has been GREAT when it comes to needing to RMA their products.

Me personally, I like MX Reds, I love how sensitive they are. I do anything ranging from games (FPS, MMO, RPG, etc.) to writing code in PHP/C++ and I have not run into anything I don't like about this board. The browns would have that tactile bump if you really want that, but for me personally, I prefer reds due to no tactile bump and no clicky clacky.

If you are wanting one of those RGB boards, you can just wait on Corsair to release theirs. I don't honestly see the need for different keys being different colors :p But I would probably say wait on the Corsair if you want RGB, or see if Ducky puts out an RGB board themselves.

If I am recommending an LED board though that is quality, 2 names come directly to mind:
Max X8
Max X9
Max Blackbird
Ducky Shine 3
(The Max boards use Cherry switches with Costar stabilizers so they feel sturdier, Ducky boards use Cherry switches with Cherry stabilizers so they feel a little "mushier" when directly compared to Costar stabilizers. THIS IN NO WAY, means Ducky is bad. Ducky is a HIGHLY popular and respected name in the Mechanical Keyboard market)

Keep in mind these are the LED choices off the top of my head, if you don't care about LEDs there are MANY great choices over at MechanicalKeyboards.com and others, such as Filco, Cherry, Topre, Das Keyboard, etc.

If you want to get in on a Max Keyboard, right now MassDrop has the Max boards for $105 + $11 shipping that will be ending in a few days.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/maxkeyboard-nighthawk

I'm already committed to join, I'm looking forward to another :p

Thanks for that detailed response! Plenty of info :)

I know I don't need LEDs (I got by without for years) but I think I want something different. Plus the effects on the new Corsair ones are pretty neat.

I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind. If I decide to replace it in the future they'll be handy to have. And I think I'll give the Cherry reds a try.

Thanks again!

Back