• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

number of fans on pcu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

random44

Registered
Hi All,

I am looking into cooling solution for my case and thinking of getting around 10 fans all blowing air in and few for exhaust .

My psu is 500w and 7-8 years old but still going strong.

In your view, are there any issues if I keep connecting fans together and dazzy chain 10 fans using the same psu which will be running the fx 9590 which is 220w then the board should be around 100

so I have around 180 left and the fans don't think will take more than few watts each .
what else need power?

I am buying an energy meter to find out how much the psu is pulling and if underpowered then change it but are there any other ways to identify under powered psu ?

does psu matter in OC?or as long as it has the watt you are ok ?

Well... let's see...

1. What exact brand/model PSU do you have? 7-8 years old means it likely can't output its labeled wattage and is of an older specification...get us a link if you can.
2. You are running a 9590 on this old 500W PSU?
3. Grab a multimeter and see if what its rails are doing. Check the 12v especially. Spec is 5% +/-.
4. PSU sure as heck does matter in overclocking, especially with that power hungry chip you have there...

Really, I suggest you get a modern, QUALITY Power supply before overclocking that CPU... and here is to hoping that you have the motherboard to actually support it.

It would be best to list your complete system specs as we have a lot to look at it appears to get you up to par...

just replied to you on the other post :),
it will be msi 970
fx 9590

psu model is mhel atx-500w-piv
can you please elaborate on point 3.
so my question was is it the wattage that matter so any brand with the watt will do or something else as well?

does my psu loose wattage over time ?

E_D do you wanna combine all his threads into one so we're not jumping all around like Mexican beans?
LOL

sure sorry just thought I can keep each thread to a specific topic rather than asking 15 question in one go.

sorry for the hassle.

NP. Please understand, we're not trying to dog on you or anything. We just want what's going to be the best rig for you.

thanks, wrong thread .

now edited . I have 4 threads open and just changing between them

Last edited:
Here you go random I finally found some numbers that might make sense to you. The FX 95xx series CPU draw 220W (or TDP) here are the specs of that board you bought.

http://www.outletpc.com/ll1585-msi-970a-g43-amd-970-amd-motherboard.html
notice the MAX TDP of that board is only 125W. You'll be drawing nearly double what it's rated at. If you have no option to exchange it or return it, my advice is to sell it on ebay to recover your $80ish dollars. If you run this CPU on this board It will cost you several hundred dollars and you'll have a nice boat anchor.

Attachments

• 970 tpd.JPG
    970 tpd.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 53
Between that board and the psu, I can only see this rig starting a fire. That psu sold on ebay for 10 quid. You need better components to run that cpu.

so in a way my cpu will draw more than what the board is capable of thus overheating ?

when you say it costs me several hundred , are you referring to the board frying so have to buy a new board at some point ?

if I buy it and don't overclock still it is going to draw more ,right so going to have issues.

understood.

I always thought the power is what matters but apparently not.

thanks, wrong thread .

now edited . I have 4 threads open and just changing between them
this is why you need a 'build thread' which handles all these build issues you have...

Ill merge tonight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back