• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I send a long distance text?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I am going to Spain in 3 days. I want to text my friend in Spain to tell him what time I'm getting there but I'm not sure how to do it.

If I were calling him, I would dial 011 to get out of Canada, then 34, the country code for Spain, then his 9 digit cell number.

Do I do the same thing for texting? I've never texted outside my own city.

Obviously I could just call him, but I'd rather save on long distance charges... That is unless texting long distance costs money. I need to be filled in about that.

Maybe check with your provider on that.. I get unlimited calls and texts in North America outside of that I'm sure there would be some steep fees unless you can mssg him through wifi

Depending on your carrier, you will most likely get dinged for international charges. You have a couple of options, one is to have your carrier unlock your phone, and purchase a prepaid sim card in Spain, or you get an international plan through your carrier. Just remember to cancel it when you get home.

Many cell phone plans do not cover international texting. The easiest free way to communicate would be with something like the Facebook messenger app. It's what I use to "text" one of my friends who has spotty cell service at his house, since it works over WiFi as well.

He has no computer, and no computer access. He actually doesn't even know HOW to use a computer. Is there some sort of web to text service I could use? I don't want to get charged for this text.

If you know his cell provider, their web page might have a way to text his number from your computer like Sprint does...

Imessage if you have an iphone. I text my friend in China often and its free.

If he has a flip phone then you cant use something like WhatsApp to achieve worldwide texting or similar apps via data. You will have to see what your carrier charges per international text.... No way around if he has a flip phone.

Haha! Got it! I found a free web service for sending texts to ANY Spanish cell provider. Sent him a text, it said it was successfully sent.

I suppose there may be some web services lol, so long as it works.

Back