• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I finally killed my i7-2600k :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

RIP i7-2600k Feb-2012 - July-2014

So I'm pretty sure the IMC is what failed based on the error code debugger and I think it was starting to fail over time as BSODs became more frequent. But it was definitely the cpu as I had already incorrectly blamed the mainboard (replaced through RMA... my bad ASRock) and then tried different RAM first. As soon as I got the replacement cpu all was well again.

I was running it at 4.9GHz @ 1.45V on water with default pll and full LLC control on my ASRock Z77 Extreme9. I had it water cooled and the temps stayed in the 30's most of the time and when I was really pushing it they would sometimes make it into the low 60's.

With this voltage and low temp I thought it would be fine but I guess not...

Anyone care to comment on my mileage? As always YMMV

IMHO, that was really pushing it. A mild overclock can cut the life from 10 years to 5. You managed to do it in less than 3. It's not just temperatures that kill CPU's. I wonder how many have been killed on nitrogen running at -180c with 1.7+ volts...probably a lot.

If I remember correctly, 1.45 volts on a 2600k should be the absolute max.

I think 1.45v is more then what I would opt to run a SB cpu under long term 24/7 type usage... But still you got almost 2 1/2 years out of it. I wonder how that sample would of fared and lasted if it ran at 48x with ~1.40v or 47x with ~1.35v?

How does the new replacement cpu clock? And has your experience with the chip failing changed your perspective on overclocking (long term) with higher voltages?

Someone has a 2600k for sale in the classies. Otherwise, you can get a 3770k. 1.4v for 24/7 use is pushing it, imo. Right now, I'm at 4.4 with 1.275 v. I have to add too much voltage to further.

Attachments

• Screenie.jpg
    Screenie.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 1,030
I had that chip running at 5.0 GHz at one point so it definitely performed very well... 4.9 was a lot more stable at that voltage and I didn't want to go over that.

I already got a replacement i7-2600k from Intel and its at stock at the moment while I consider what would be a more conservative overclock. My last overclock was near the edge of stability and the difference between 100-200 MHz lower probably won't be noticeable performance wise.

If it was the IMC, then it looks like just a faulty chip..... :(

Vcore shouldn't kill the IMC. I'm now facepalming.....

See? This is what you get for buying intel instead of the vastly superior AMD.

Haha I kid. Sucks about your chip. SB chips were good clockers from what I've seen. Hopefully your replacement will last longer.

These chips were start degrading from 1.4-1.5V and were not scalling much better on cold. Most overclockers were using sub 0 temps only to make 1 more ratio ( 100MHz ) and not to kill CPU. After 5 dead or highly degraded SB and 3 mobo RMA I just sold all platform. One of my 2600K last for all 2h on 1.5V and cold water before it died.

Never use 1.4 V+ Vcore on a Sandy Bridge!

Looks like the same rule as Wolfdale and Yorkfield applies.

OTOH, I haven't heard of anything like this for Haswell.

Still rolling 1.488v @ 4.9ghz here.

If she does die, upgrade time! Hoping to make it to Broadwell. So far, 3 years 7 months 24/7.

Back