• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Let's haul some a---- cargo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
What is it?
Euro Truck Simulator 2, made by SCS Software, is a game where you deliver cargo to fund your own trucking company. When you start the game, you don't have any money and must work delivery jobs for other companies. Once you get money (generally through a loan), you can buy your very own truck and start your own deliveries. From there, you can upgrade your garage to fit other trucks, hire drivers to do deliveries, and upgrade or replace your own truck!

The game covers 12 countries and 70 cities (13 countries and 83 cities with Going East), with a lot of road in between. The time it takes you to drive between cities is not life scale, so you aren't taking hours for a single delivery. Iconic buildings and structures, differing environment, road styles, and signs are included per city or region to give variety. SCS Software is not a large company and devotes almost all their time to this game. It was released on Steam through the Greenlight program and has exploded in popularity since then.

Why should I play?
The game has a charm that most other games don't. You can find a plethora of simulation x or simulation y games on Steam, but very few have the attention to detail like SCS has given. This makes the game enjoyable to play, reliable, and easy to mod. If you want to play more realistically (not constantly crashing and/or speeding), the game is relaxing and a good time waster. If you want to "crank up the difficulty", driving like a madman can be incredibly fun.

Where can I get it and is there DLC?
Steam is the most direct source. Going East is currently the only expansion available, which adds a country and 13 cities to the game. They also offer cheap paint designs and they put their DLC sales directly towards developing the game further, and they show their players the results. They've added better sounds by buying vehicles, crashing them, and recording the sounds. They have also purchased twenty tons of sand to get better sound by measuring different points around the truck. They aren't EA.

Current map as of Going East:
EuroTruck-Simulator-2-Eastern-European-Expansion.jpg

Can you mod the game?

CAN YOU EVER! There are many websites dedicated to modding the game and there are an overwhelming amount of mods available.

There are two major map mods that expand the game even more, but they are not compatible with each other. TSM adds Southern Europe and North Africa, while ProMods adds Scandinavia and northern France. Promods has higher quality, while TSM aims for adding more area.

Kilonum, who I've stolen the idea of an ETS2 thread from, and took information from his post, created a few mods for the game, making it more fun (or incredibly dangerous to your bank account!). His "Engines and Transmissions" mod adds engines and transmissions to all the trucks (including a 1500 HP one, which is double the highest Volvo one); I wouldn't suggest this mod until you get used to the game. You can "accidentally" get moving pretty quick: 167 km/h with cargo. Good luck stopping! He also includes two economy mods (only run one), that adds currencies. The "easy economy" provides slightly more money and double experience, which I suggest starting with.

In addition to that, I highly highly suggest Jazzycat's mods. It adds a ton of new AI vehicles along with a plethora of new cargo. You can get his mods directly from his website.

What controllers can you use?
The XBox 360 controller works perfectly with the game, but you will be limited on button space.

Wheels work, are incredibly fun, and add a new level of realism to the game. I use a Fanatec CSR set and have never had issues. You can drive full manual, including clutch and all 12 gears.

Do you have screenshots of game play?
Of course!
JClLIQP.jpg

eZyjhXY.jpg

2013-07-17_00001.jpg

2013-08-10_00001.jpg

2013-08-31_00008.jpg
Don't do this.

2013-09-04_00005.jpg
Really don't do this.

2014-08-08_00001.jpg
AI isn't incredibly smart and is ok most of the time. Not here, though.

2014-08-08_00003.jpg

2014-08-08_00005.jpg

2014-08-09_00001.jpg

Any tips?
Once you start and after you finish the tutorial, start doing quick jobs for other companies until you get notification that you can get a loan. Grab a 100k loan and buy your favorite truck! Shortly after you start driving for yourself, you will receive notification that you can get bigger loans. The 400k loan should be enough to buy an upgraded 3 slot garage, get two new trucks, and hire two employees. Income will start slow with them, sometimes losing money when they don't finish a job, but they will quickly start rolling in a ton of money, which you can use to expand to other cities and eventually form an unstoppable empire!

SCS has given you the ability to have mobile suns by adding accessories to the front of your truck, and you should absolutely use them. Blind the AI by running them at day, and be able to see the road at night.
2014-08-09_00004.jpg

2014-08-09_00007.jpg

I leveled up, now what?
Every time you level up, you get a skill point to put into any ability you want, while also giving you access to more upgrades on all the trucks. The level cap is 36. To get higher paying jobs, put one point into High Value, Fragile, and Just In Time, which unlock new deliveries with one point. From there, dump points into Long Distance and ADR for even higher paying jobs.

Where is Ausfahrt?
You'll find it.

Some information shamelessly stolen from SomethingAwful's ETS2 thread by Kilonum.

Last edited:
good game i've been playing it since it came out. i'm partial to the volvo tractors
That and Scania are what I've preferred in the past, but I'm driving a MAN truck now, as per screenshots in the first post. The larger window and interior layout is better, in my opinion.

I'm also doing "hard mode" by using the poverty spec engine and hauling around 60+ ton cargo (train mod). Some hills are interesting.

I had a ton of fun playing this with my G27 about a year ago, I should get back into the game sometime. Probably this winter.

Have you guys seen this game with the Oculus? Looks amazing!!

Anyone tried the MP mod? could be pretty funny...

Haven't tried it with the Oculus, but it looks interesting.

I've heard multiplayer is ok, but it has issues. You can't use mods of any kind, of course. There is also a delay since it runs against a server, which can create some "interesting" effects, such as tapping someone and suddenly you are flying 1000 mp/h through the air. Finally, the trolling in it is apparently pretty bad, at least on the UK server.

Almost forgot, achievements were added into the game, but they are not active yet. Developers say the only retroactive one will be the "x% map discovered".

Great game that I haven't played in months. I remember many LATE nights dozing off on those long hauls, waking up with my truck flipped over. I hope they keep making these games.

Great game that I haven't played in months. I remember many LATE nights dozing off on those long hauls, waking up with my truck flipped over. I hope they keep making these games.
They are working on a US version of ETS2, actually.

I have played the multipalyer a tiny bit on my laptop, wasnt all that good, theres many features missing, and when you finish a job, no matter how fast, you get screwed with 9999999 late time.

Whats the big difference? We have speed limits like US, we have roads and white lines to stick within? The one key difference being you cant turn right on a red light.
You drive on the wrong side of the road.

Whats the big difference? We have speed limits like US, we have roads and white lines to stick within? The one key difference being you cant turn right on a red light.

Off top of my head right on red is what I was thinking and always gets me a ticket lol.

For whatever reason I was thinking you drive on opposite side as america (haven't played game on couple months lol)

Guess its time to hope back in

Off top of my head right on red is what I was thinking and always gets me a ticket lol.

For whatever reason I was thinking you drive on opposite side as america (haven't played game on couple months lol)

Guess its time to hope back in

Yeah that might be it, I sit in the left side of my cars, and drive in the right lane. Should be pretty similar to states.

As i said, the main difference should be the no turning right on a red light. I have never driven in US, i have been driven around (age 8) though.

Recently went to Colombia, they do drive on the from the left side of the car, but picking a lane, well thats up to the driver in most cases lol :D

Achievements are live as of a week or two ago.

2014-10-11_00001.jpg
Just barely got the truck through this portion. The cargo I'm hauling is double wide, which made some points of the delivery interesting. It looks like I have space on the sides, but there is padding that doesn't allow you to smack the guard rails, so I'm very very close to both sides.

2014-10-12_00002.jpg
I thought there was a gas station around my drop off point, but I was quite wrong. Started my next delivery and barely made it to the next station. However, if I ran out of gas, I'm sure my cargo had enough momentum to keep me going for a bit, ha. 68 tons.

2014-10-12_00003.jpg
Much better.

Last edited:
Back