• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

usb 3 dock vs lenovo cradle dock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

I love how my Lenovo docking station works. I can use my laptop from work as a desktop and a laptop without feeling I am lacking anything.

Is it possible for a usb 3 dock work as well as the Lenovo docking cradle? IE While the lid is closed I can just plop it in the cradle and go to work with my full sized keyboard, wired lan, computer speakers, dual displays and mouse? The key to this is while the lid is closed.

Can you link which ones you are talking about, along with what laptop you are using? I have the Lenovo 4338 dock with my W530 and it works just fine with the lid open or closed.

That is an MSI laptop? :confused:

I thought we were talking about Lenovo docking stations.

That is an MSI laptop? :confused:

I thought we were talking about Lenovo docking stations.

Sorry for the confusion. I like my lenovo T400s docking station, and I don't want to loose the flexibility I have. HOwever I want a more powerful laptop msi gs60/70. I am wondering if it is achievable with a usb 3.0 docking station. IE I just plug in one plug and wham bam I have everything working, just like with my lenovo.

For certain things, like keyboard/mice, sure. Monitors? No.

If you are looking at gaming, I'm not sure what is available. I'm on a W530 that has the built in graphics in addition to the discrete K1000 Quadro card. Works pretty good for general stuff, but for gaming it falls on its face pretty quickly. The newer/faster cards may do better.

Good to know. Guess it's an odd request. I have two offices and it's pretty important that I have a desktop experience at both. When I go home it would be nice to be able to game on the same device. Guess I'm in the vast minority

Why not build a desktop for gaming?

I want one device to rule them all. I have a decent desktop. Working 60 hours+ with a 9 month old, I rarely use it.

*edit*
From the initial research I've done, the gtx 870m w/ the i7 should be around the same performance as the rig in my sig. Which is WAY more than enough for my needs.

Last edited:
Back