• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another dead GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippogriff

Bought a GTX 780 in October, in November it caught fire.

Bought a GTX 780Ti in January, today the computer doesn't turn on if I have it plugged in.

Am I unlucky, modern GPUs are horrible or am I doing something wrong?

:(:(:(

Bought a GTX 780 in October, in November it caught fire.

Bought a GTX 780Ti in January, today the computer doesn't turn on if I have it plugged in.

Am I unlucky, modern GPUs are horrible or am I doing something wrong?

:(:(:(

Just unlucky, I've never had such luck :(

Any signs of burns or burnt parts on it?
Works in another computer???

I am sorry for your loss, but you should have warranty? Are you overclocking?

Oh, and i want to hear Culbrelai's point of view on this.

Bad luck, that's all. I could say if you had AMD card then is much higher chance for a weird death as they're often throwing black screens or vertical stripes after couple of months of work.
I have 2x GTX780 and one of them was running on dice at 1.5V+, still works fine and is running on a modded BIOS at 1100MHz without voltage or clock drops. It's also hard modded. 2nd one is almost the same but I didn't try it on sub 0 temps. On the other hand it's usually covered by dust because my brother is not cleaning his PC often. I mean enough dust to cover ASUS sign on the backplate :p

Replace power supply

CPUs don't typically catch on fire ?

My previous GPU was quite infamous concerning fire.

By the way, I am actually thinking about changing PSU since I am going X99 soon and thinking about a SLI. But my PSU is supposed to be quite good...

I take care of the dust, even if my case doesn't allow much to enter.

Bad luck, that's all. I could say if you had AMD card then is much higher chance for a weird death as they're often throwing black screens or vertical stripes after couple of months of work.
I have 2x GTX780 and one of them was running on dice at 1.5V+, still works fine and is running on a modded BIOS at 1100MHz without voltage or clock drops. It's also hard modded. 2nd one is almost the same but I didn't try it on sub 0 temps. On the other hand it's usually covered by dust because my brother is not cleaning his PC often. I mean enough dust to cover ASUS sign on the backplate :p

My brother is just lazy. He is cleaning his PC when it's throwing blue screens on him :D

Even top quality units can fail.

Just pointing out it is possible there could be something in your system causing these failures. if this is the case you will continue to have problems no matter how many cards you put in the slot.

If you don't have a UPS, and you have had some power surges, it could be your psu, possible your motherboard. I'm leaning more towards a psu problem.

So, which PSU would you suggest if I will move to a X99/2-3 SLI setup?
860W is enough or I have to go for 1000/1200w?

Back