• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another dead GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some will say it is overkill.

However my sig rig loaded CPU and GPU with 2x 250 watt cards and a 130 watt CPU pulls 970 watts from the wall at 90% efficiency , that lands you at 873 watts the system is actually using

truth be told the price and warranty of these eVGA units really make them a no brainer IMO

G2 1300 for 3 cards
G2 1000 for 2
This is a great way to do it assuming you are volt modding and benching, certianly.

For a lot of GPU's, even on that platform, a quality 850W is plenty. Consider the 780ti.. its 250W card with 10-15% headroom. 550W for two? Add 200W for a highly overclocked X99 CPU and that leaves 100W. I make no mention of the other parts of the build because, unless you mine or fold, your components won't all be near 100%. Its when you get into bios flashing removing those limits and adding more voltage than what is normally allowed that you get into a need above 850W for 2 cards.

As an example, I ran a 690 with 4930K (4.2-4.5GHz) and a 550W PSU and it didn't flinch. :thup:

truth be told the price and warranty of these eVGA units really make them a no brainer IMO
QFT...

As another example, when gaming with the 295x2 and 4930 @ 4.2-4.5GHz) I peak around 800W at the wall.

I would like to move to 1440p/144hz gaming by Christmas, while having a computational workhorse (since IT here are slaves of Dell and their overpriced computers, I won't be able to get a Haswell-E for my office desktop). So I don't know the power I need.

BTW, AX860 costs the same of a G2 1300W (as long as EVGA actually pays mail-in-rebates). Seriously?

Like Witchy said, in this case, its an absolute no brianer for the quality that the G2 units actually are.

I would like to move to 1440p/144hz gaming by Christmas, while having a computational workhorse (since IT here are slaves of Dell and their overpriced computers, I won't be able to get a Haswell-E for my office desktop). So I don't know the power I need.

BTW, AX860 costs the same of a G2 1300W (as long as EVGA actually pays mail-in-rebates). Seriously?

EVGA absolutely pays rebates. I've gotten a few.

Go with the 850W G2 for two GPUs and the 1000W for three GPUs.
Honestly though, I don't see a need of more than two GPUs for 1440p.

Guess I will go for the 1300W. It's just $10 more....

Some will say it is overkill.

:rofl:

I don't disagree ED, an 850 will do the job.

I simply look at it a bit differently, with the price premium for a 1k unit over an 850 being negligible in the scope of an x99 build and no one really knows what he will be putting in this build and under what ambient circumstances means we are all simply speculating. I would hate to recommend a unit that has even the smallest chance of falling short of the mark.

I am sure there will be many opinions for the OP to look at

mine is simply the right one ............. :rofl:

jk/ing

1k for 2x cards & 1.3K for 3x cards :)

I have never fried a gpu even with high voltages and temperatures. I have also never used anything less than a corsair ax series power supplies. I think at this point I would start thinking about dropping that xfx unit and buying a real quality unit.

It's more about vram for driving anything over 1080p. A 3 gig card should be more than adequate for driving a 1440p monitor. Yes, I know some games do require 2 gigs to get the most out of a game.

I have never fried a gpu even with high voltages and temperatures. I have also never used anything less than a corsair ax series power supplies. I think at this point I would start thinking about dropping that xfx unit and buying a real quality unit.

Looks like a solid unit to me.
I wouldn't change the PSU unless you do testing that shows it to be failing.

That XFX is a real quality unit...

... that doesn't mean it isn't bad or can go bad, but... they were great units as you can see. ;)

I remember I checked that last year

Looks like a solid unit to me.
I wouldn't change the PSU unless you do testing that shows it to be failing.

I missed the comment. I meant 1440p AND 144Hz, i.e. http://rog.asus.com/296652014/news/...78q-swift-27-inch-wqhd-g-sync-gaming-monitor/

If I want 100FPS in BF4, I need 2/3 780Ti

It's more about vram for driving anything over 1080p. A 3 gig card should be more than adequate for driving a 1440p monitor. Yes, I know some games do require 2 gigs to get the most out of a game.

I have a EVGA 1300 G2 and it runs flawless, who wants 10-15% headroom. 25%-35% headroom is best for me :)

I have a EVGA 1300 G2 and it runs flawless, who wants 10-15% headroom. 25%-35% headroom is best for me :)

Indeed. I have a 750W PSU right now and plenty of headroom since at wall I pull 450W maybe right now. Oh and add to the fact my PSU is 8+ years old ;)
I always go over a little bit (mine here was running dual HD4950's at the time) so not total overkill compared to now, but I don't think I've ever pulled more than 500W from the PSU according to a Kill-O-Watt Meter.

Back