• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Boot Probs - Mobo Shorting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You could try updating the firmware on the vertex 3. They fixed it... for at least some of the victims. I hear it didn't work for everybody, though.

Thanks. I am talking the guys at OCZ. Apparently I am not the only one. Unfortunately their solutions haven't helped so far...

Update: OCZ said drive is dead and cant help anymore. Bugger.

So the machine has been running on just one HDD (which has an old win7). Its still having stability issues but much less often and of a different nature now. Previously I got just reboots. Now it still reboots randomly but then during the bootup it stops at the very beginning even before the beeps. The DRAM led is on as the systems boots up (as per normal before the first expected beep). Then suddenly the CPU led flickers on and the system power cuts out before starting the cycle again until I turn the power off. The normal cycle is DRAM -> VGA -> Boot Device LEDs with beeps in the middle and the end.

I am currently running P95 for the last 4hrs and everything is fine. I heard that P95 should test everything that I am suspicious about ie. PSU, CPU and RAM. So lets see how that goes. I will run it for 24hrs to really see if the system can handle it and will report back.

As a minimum it seems I need a new SSD. Fair enough. But if thats not the real cause then it'd be a real pain. I put the PC together in Aug 2011 and was waiting for the new Skylake stuff to come out before upgrading. Sod it and just do it now?

Hi Blaylock,

Thanks for the response. I was actually away on a work project so wasnt near the PC for a little while. I have tested the RAM sticks in all the slots and its still causing random restarts. However something interesting happened when I returned home and switched the PC on.

My boot drive is a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and all of a sudden the BIOS couldnt see it. As it happens I have an old Windows on one of my hard drives and that kicked in allowing me to get into Windows. The wife also reported that she got some wierd "Missing boot files" error which then randomly disappeared when she restarted the machine. At the moment the SSD power is on and I have checked the cables and the SATA ports on the mobo, so the only remaining culprit is that the SSD is dead. Is there anything else I can do to try and get the SSD to return to life as it does have a decent amount of info that I need to get back.

I am wondering if this was the problem all along. Maybe the random resets were due to the SSD slowly dying rathet than RAM or PSU. Is this plausible?

Sata cables can and will go bad. try replacing them.

Hi Arbiter Odie - What a great deal!! Unfortunately I am in HongKong and newegg dont ship out here. I use another website and it lists the same one at $475!! My PC has a fair amount of trouble starting up (4-5 reboots, some hard resets, pulling out power plug etc), but once its through the boot process it seems to be stable (at least so far) - at least stable enough to have passed a 24hr P95 run! I am debating if i can go on for another year before skylake hits or whether my irritation gets the better of me. Thanks!

ShrimpBrime - I have changed the sata cables and confirmed they are not the issue. Thanks.

I was having issues with my X58 sabertooth. Still here and haven't setup the RMA yet. Have checked with my other X58 parts and they all seem to work well but just not when that MB is in the mix. Using my X58 intel atm with the same parts I'd use with the saber. I still got a year till the warranty runs out and knowing ASUS CS, I think I should start it soon. lol

Thanks for the info GTX. Thats really my worst fear - that I go through the expense of getting new parts and then still have issues with the setup due to the mobo. So far I have changed the GPU and will be changing the SSD - but both needed to be replaced so no probs.

Did you notice if the mobo was actually damaging the parts? I wonder if the GPU and SSD failed in some part due to the mobo in some way.

Back