• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone used Linux for Networking printing in a corp environment?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
I have a vm that I normally do my printing from. Previously I was the only person who was using Linux on their desktop. However, a few coworkers have started dual booting and for them its not acceptable to have a VM for printing.

We have several Toshiba printers which are giving me some problems but I cant tell where the problem is.

I assume that we have some sort of stupidity with the network printers that doesnt allow us to print from computers not on the domain (even though we have IPs).

We have to enter a print code when we print, but I get a "quota exceeded" error on the printer itself. I can see my print job, but it just wont actually print. My assumption is that because I am trying to bypass the print server I am having issues.

What are some of the gotchas that you all have run into trying to work with network printers in a "Windows World"?

What method are you using when adding the network printer to the machines not joined to the domain?

You could also just add the Linux boxes to the domain. Try one first and see if it fixes the issue

I tried a couple of other printers on the network and had no issue.

I spoke with a few windows users and it seems like there is a settings in windows which disables color printing and that allows them to print to this specific printer.

I think that its more of the way we as a company are protecting the printer than the printer itself

Back