• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Upgrading Motherboard & CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velda

Current specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME
CPU: i7 965 Extreme
Card: GTX 780
RAM: 8G

It's for a gaming pc.

Motherboard and CPU has been in my pc since late 2008.

I need a motherboard and cpu that would last with me at least 4 years but not that expensive. maybe with a budget of something around $600-$700.

Maybe with a budget cpu cooler too.

For gaming I would roll with a AsRock z97 Extreme 6 and a 4970K

If you are in the States and near a Micro Center you can get a great deal on this as a combo

4690k? 4970k is a bit overkill for gaming. That said, for gaming purposes... I can't see a 4690k unlocking playability the 965 wouldnt have already o_O Especially with a gtx 780.

Next gen is around the corner, I would wait personally.

Is your current CPU overclocked? If so you will see some improvements, but nothing amazing. If its stock, and you get a 4790K it will be a pretty good improvement.

What kind of ram setup do you have? Odd to have 8 GB on a 1366 setup. Not doing triple channel?

I agree though, OC current chip and hang with it for at least one more generation and maybe upgrade other components. SSD, monitor, speakers, headphones, ram, etc.

If you do upgrade, I'd get the Asus myself.

Is your current CPU overclocked? If so you will see some improvements, but nothing amazing. If its stock, and you get a 4790K it will be a pretty good improvement.

What kind of ram setup do you have? Odd to have 8 GB on a 1366 setup. Not doing triple channel?

I agree though, OC current chip and hang with it for at least one more generation and maybe upgrade other components. SSD, monitor, speakers, headphones, ram, etc.

If you do upgrade, I'd get the Asus myself.

Did not OC. But i would like to upgrade my ram too. What good but not that expensive ram that can go with my new cpu and asus MB

Do you know what kind you currently have? Is it 2x4 or 4x2?

Any 1600 cas9 2x4GB is enough for gaming. I like Gskill, but Team, Corsair, Crucial are all good.

If you want better, just buy better.

the 4690k will be more than enough to game with, the 4790k is awesome.
1600 ram is plenty, 1866 is a little better if it's within $5.00 of the 1600.
the extreme6 will serve you very well, i use the extreme9, it has a feature or two i wanted over the extreme6.

Again, for GAMING there is zero difference between a 4790k and 4690k. You're far better off getting the 4690k, and getting an nh-d15 or h100i cooler and an SSD.

Back