• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fairly new to Water Cooling Need Advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wait what... are you saying I need two pumps. I thought we were looking at one loop.

You can have two pumps in one loop, but I don't think that's what GTX was trying to say.
He was saying if you don't want a dual-bay reservoir, you can get a tube style res. Some dual-bay reservoirs can house two pumps - I think that was more of an FYI from GTX than a suggestion.

I think it would be easier with a dual bay reservoir. But since there is on 3 5 1/4" bays, one occupied by the 360 rad. and two for the res. I wouldn't have a dvd drive..lol Which you gotta have right. So thinking of something like the EK-D5 Vario X-RES.. I'll try and draw a pix of my thoughts...

Who uses a DVD drive?
I install Windows and drivers from a USB stick.

If you might need a DVD drive, grab an external one and plug in as needed.

Who uses a DVD drive?

I do! :p
But that's because there's an old game or two I have to install via CD (I'm looking at you, Freelancer).

For you, as ATM said, you can just install Windows 8 via USB and never really need a DVD drive, or just get an external one if you do.

I think it would be easier with a dual bay reservoir. But since there is on 3 5 1/4" bays, one occupied by the 360 rad. and two for the res. I wouldn't have a dvd drive..lol Which you gotta have right.

See above.
Drop the DVD drive and go with a dual-bay res if that's what you'd like more :thup:

Who uses a DVD drive?

:facepalm: See my thinking is way off thinking about this water cooling mess. I also us a usb stick to install win 7. Going win 8.1 on this one but I surly can get the needed files.
anyhow being an artist here is my thought on the cooling system... Oh and someone mentioned the flow of 1-1.5 gpm about right how do you measure it a flow meter or jusy guess?

I just noticed this...Please note that EK-FC Bridge & Link system is not compatible with this water block. GPU Says something about a terminal but I can't find that. Ok is this what I need. FC terminal

Also what size fittings are most used 3/8" or 1/2"?

Last edited:
Not to sure about the thickness of the rad 54mm plus the fan 25mm =79mm. I stuck the XSPC RX 240 up there with a 25mm fan. and it partially blocks the EATX12v plug. Now that rad is thicker @ 63mm the fan @ 25mm = 88mm. 9mm larger. How much is that? Lets do inches people. lol ok about 1/3"

any way here's a picture to help you understand better.

Ok an up date. I found an old mm scale I had and came up with approximately 68/69mm plus 13mm(that's from the end of the ruler to where 0 starts) from the top of the case to the clip on the EATX plug. I came up with 81/82mm total. The width of the GTX rad and fan would be 79mm. A tight fit but should work with a little rerouting oh the EATX cable. Or should I just go the the smaller GTS rad?

You'll need to install the cable first and than install the radiator and fan. It still should fit tightly. Why not try before going through the trouble of returning.

Thanks Jack...Well I haven't actually bought anything yet. Cooling wise. I was just wanting to make sure it fit. Would you also mind looking at the Xfire terminal block to see if that's what I need? it a few post above. BTW look at this and how did the do it lol... Look at this 760T

Would you also mind looking at the Xfire terminal block to see if that's what I need? it a few post above. BTW look at this and how did the do it lol... Look at this 760T

It depends which GPU blocks you're going with and how much space is in between them, meaning which slots will be used on the MB. There's different size terminals.

Yeeee HAAAAWWWW got my EVGA 1200w PS today and so far I am impressed with just the accessories. :attn:

Although I did purchase the EVGA single braded red PSU kit also., the PSU looks awesome.

Right now it at least for now shows the board has power and fans spins so I guess that's good. :thup:

Hopefully tomorrow I will get the OS and ram to load it up see how it works with the 4790k and stock fan and 2 of the vid cards.. WOOT

Once that's tested out and EK confirms the GPU block configuration, I'll be banking the farm to order parts to cool er down.

Bad thing for me is, well heck lets go acrylic. Balls to the wall, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. That's what I am going for.

Might as well do it right once....

If I want to create kinda of a mini build log, as I'm not into documenting every part I pull out of my...boxes. But nothing really ...o well never mind.

Last edited:
Got it roughly assembled to day just waiting on UPS to deliver the memory, OS and a few other goodies. Still waiting for EK to confirm which terminal I need for the XFire.

I hope to get the OS installed and order WC parts tomorrow. I torn against a bay res or the EK-D5 Vario X-RES. And I think i'll just do tubing since I'd probably not use the bend kit much if at all...

Someone explain the difference between a parallel terminal and a serial one for a xfire card.

Someone explain the difference between a parallel terminal and a serial one for a xfire card.

2d13fb9f_1486fdaa_2waySLIseries-para.png

Series will give you a cooler GPU on the bottom and a slightly warmer GPU up top while Parallel will give you both cards a bit warmer than a lower GPU in series but both GPU's will be almost identical temps. Honestly, just go series imho. Either or is fine regardless.

Thanks Jack, I went with parallel, you still would have one inlet and out let right. Here's the parts list I ordered today. See any thing I missed.

6 x Swiftech Helix 120MM 9-Blade Z-Bearing Fan - 1800RPM - PWM Version
- Sleeve Color: Red
- Heatshrink Color: Red $71.70
2 x Swiftech 8-Way PWM Splitter Box - SATA $19.90
1 x *** NEW *** Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX Dual-Core Xtreme Profile Radiator
- Fitting Size: 3/8" OD $129.95
1 x *** HOT *** Swiftech APOGEE XL PPCS Custom ROG Edition $74.95
1 x IandH Silver KillCoils - Antimicrobial .999 Fine Silver Tubing / Reservoir Strip $6.99
1 x *** NEW *** Black Ice Nemesis 240GTX Dual-Core Xtreme Profile Radiator
- Fitting Size: 3/8" OD $96.95
1 x EK-FC Terminal DUAL Parallel 3-Slot - Acetal $20.95
2 x EK-FC R9-290X DCII - Acetal+Nickel
- Backplate: Add backplate $301.88
1 x Koolance Drain Valve - Brass $10.99
1 x Koolance INS-FM17N Coolant Flow Meter [no nozzles]
- Flow Meter Frequency Adapter: No Adapter
- Nozzles: No Nozzles $19.99
1 x XSPC M20 to G1/4" Fillport - Black Chrome Finish $6.95
3 x Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings, 7/16" x 5/8" Six Pack - Red $107.97
1 x *** NEW *** PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10ft Tubing - 7/16in. ID X 5/8in. OD - Elegant White $24.99
1 x *** HOT *** Swiftech Maelstrom V2 Dual Bay Reservoir w/ MCP50X Pump
- Fitting Size: No Fittings $139.95
1 x Koolance Flow Meter Frequency Adapter for INS-FM17N $19.99

Sub-Total: $1,054.10

Thanks Jack, I went with parallel, you still would have one inlet and out let right. Here's the parts list I ordered today. See any thing I missed.

6 x Swiftech Helix 120MM 9-Blade Z-Bearing Fan - 1800RPM - PWM Version
- Sleeve Color: Red
- Heatshrink Color: Red $71.70
2 x Swiftech 8-Way PWM Splitter Box - SATA $19.90
1 x *** NEW *** Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX Dual-Core Xtreme Profile Radiator
- Fitting Size: 3/8" OD $129.95
1 x *** HOT *** Swiftech APOGEE XL PPCS Custom ROG Edition $74.95
1 x IandH Silver KillCoils - Antimicrobial .999 Fine Silver Tubing / Reservoir Strip $6.99
1 x *** NEW *** Black Ice Nemesis 240GTX Dual-Core Xtreme Profile Radiator
- Fitting Size: 3/8" OD $96.95
1 x EK-FC Terminal DUAL Parallel 3-Slot - Acetal $20.95
2 x EK-FC R9-290X DCII - Acetal+Nickel
- Backplate: Add backplate $301.88
1 x Koolance Drain Valve - Brass $10.99
1 x Koolance INS-FM17N Coolant Flow Meter [no nozzles]
- Flow Meter Frequency Adapter: No Adapter
- Nozzles: No Nozzles $19.99
1 x XSPC M20 to G1/4" Fillport - Black Chrome Finish $6.95
3 x Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings, 7/16" x 5/8" Six Pack - Red $107.97
1 x *** NEW *** PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10ft Tubing - 7/16in. ID X 5/8in. OD - Elegant White $24.99
1 x *** HOT *** Swiftech Maelstrom V2 Dual Bay Reservoir w/ MCP50X Pump
- Fitting Size: No Fittings $139.95
1 x Koolance Flow Meter Frequency Adapter for INS-FM17N $19.99

Sub-Total: $1,054.10

Looks good. :thup: Just make sure everything will fit in the case especially the rads and you have enough headers on the board (2 for PWM and 1 3/4 pin for the flow sensor). You don't want it cluttered since you'll want good air flow through out the case etc.

Ok should be getting my parts on a 3 day shipping six days later, tomorrow. :shrug:

Anyway, I changed my mind on the direction flow since I went with the Bay res. Picture attached. Look good? Any reasons why it should be different?

Also I would like input on the best place to place to place the flow meter. At the beginning or my choice the end of the loop?

Thanks in advance...

oh not sure if mentioned, but you can unlock those 290 to be 290x with a BIOS flash, do your hw and make sure ur card is compatible

Back