• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fairly new to Water Cooling Need Advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK thanks, dudes no push pull then. I respect your opinion and will follow suit. Thanks to both of you for your views.

I changed my mind and went push/pull and mounted fan directly to the rad. I for got the the front fans has a high low switch on them, so I hooked them up to that. The Monsoon 90 came in today an it look a lot better. Oh and you can see the top filter in place also.

Well my luck continues, no thermal pad from EK today so methinks WTF, I'll do that Primochill SysPrep thing they give you with the tubing and have that out of the way. All buttoned up fill res with the solution then power up pump, I'm ready to add more solution and bam just a weird noise. Shut down, check er out nothing oblivious so I retry, BAM more noise, but then SILENCE! I'm thinking , ok cool, but not cool, the pump appears not to be working. RMA on the way from my end atleast. Darn now it will be atleast two weeks until I get this thing going. :shrug:

Is that the Maelstrom V2 pump combo?

Was your pump not primed? Did you run it dry? Pumps tend to make a lot of noise if there's a bubble lodged in them or running dry in general. A dry pump is as good as a dead pump.

Did you open and clean out the gear once it arrived? Could be maybe debris lodged somewhere. I don't know but I am guessing here what you might have missed.

Jack I did what I thought I was supposed to do. Dry pump, why would I plug a sata into it without water? However I did not clean it out from debris as you describe. Besides what manufacture would send out a unit after their testing, full of debris. Just asking. I just want to OC this BABY!

Just thought I would mention that I talked to a very nice gentleman over @ Swiftech for the RMA and they agreed to cross ship a new Maelstrom V2, so I should have it by Friday. Now that's service I can appreciate. :clap:

Also talked to EKWB it's going to take up to two weeks for the thermal pad to get here from the UK. :( I found one that will work if I cut it in half from Frozen CPU and will also get it by Friday.:thup:

On a sad note I 1st e-mailed Performance PCs about the Maelstorm V2 situation. I have yet to here a peep from them as well as the noisy fan problem after I sent them a video of the noise. :confused:
Now that's service I can hate and loose business to. :mad:

Don't start water cooling. It's as addictive as heroin. First you water cool your PC, and then your XBox or PS4, and then you start looking at the dog to figure out where to place the rads.

Don't start water cooling. It's as addictive as heroin. First you water cool your PC, and then your XBox or PS4, and then you start looking at the dog to figure out where to place the rads.

To late I am hooked on WC, I can't think of any reason I would go back to air. I would like to water cool the neighbor lady she's HOT. :censored:

:rofl:

To late I am hooked on WC, I can't think of any reason I would go back to air. I would like to water cool the neighbor lady she's HOT. :censored:

:rofl:

The water cooling bug bites again! :muahaha:

WOOT finally finished off the GPU cooling blocks no thanks to slow boat from China delivery from EKWB. Still haven't seen hide nor hair of theirs. Working on that and a little wiring stuff, which I suck at. Looking like Monday for the Maelstrom bay/res now. :rain:

But hey on the bright side it's FOOTBALL SEASON! :nuts:

Last edited:
On a sad note I filed a complaint with the BBB on PCS for non response on the Swiftech fan and the Maelsrtom pump as well as the 2009 240mm fan led not working. Bad for me ..maybe bad for their lack of consumer support.. hopefully more so. I am just tired of them blaming me/or you for their faulty parts and accepting zero responsibility. I for one will never use them again. You peeps decide for yourselves.

I do know if no one does nothing to check them out but if no one does nothing they will continue to screw the people.

Also filed with the Texas AG on this matter.

Last edited:
That's why you buy with a CC with return protection. You don't hear back from the vendor, they'll charge them back. I guarantee you will here from them then.

Ok got the bay/res installed and res filled with water. rocked computer up and down side to side until no more bubbles. Tried it out and pumps making noise so I immediately shut it down. Do so more rocking, tried it again same thing. I gun shy on it right now I don't won't to mess it up. SO how should I go about getting this think going?

EDIT: Never mind it finally started pumping. Now running the PrimoChill SysPrep through it....:clap:

Last edited:
I've had reservoirs where most of the air is gone in an hour or two. I've had others, like my current GPU setup that took 24 hours. All of the air bubbles stuck to one res. Try only using a T-Line, talk about a long time to bleed the air.

It's Alive! I still need to figure out how to control the water pump/flow and fans. I never have owned an ASUS board so it's all new. I have no idea on how to OC it either. So big learning cure here. A few pictures don't laugh to hard on wire management I sux at it. Well probable the rest also.

It's Alive! I still need to figure out how to control the water pump/flow and fans. I never have owned an ASUS board so it's all new. I have no idea on how to OC it either. So big learning cure here. A few pictures don't laugh to hard on wire management I sux at it. Well probable the rest also.

:clap: Looks great. Could use some red colored zip ties in a few spots but other than that it looks great.

To control the pump you need to plug in the pump to the CPU PWN Fan Header on the MB. As for the fans, you should look into purchasing this to control them all and possibly adding the pump as well.

Last edited:
Nope and thanks to you guys/gals I am much more knowledgeable than when I started., so thanks to all esp. GTXJackBauer. Now lets talk flow meter and pumps speed. You say you need approximately 1 to 1.5 GPM for your loop. Is that minimum even at idle. Also how do you convert the sensors rpm into GPM?

Nope and thanks to you guys/gals I am much more knowledgeable than when I started., so thanks to all esp. GTXJackBauer. Now lets talk flow meter and pumps speed. You say you need approximately 1 to 1.5 GPM for your loop. Is that minimum even at idle. Also how do you convert the sensors rpm into GPM?

:salute: Hey, glad I could help and anytime.

A loops efficiency is between 1.0 GPM-1.5 GPM at all times. I mean, if you get really technical, you could run them down and than jack them up to the stated range but that would get annoying. If you're not using say a Aquaero 6 with the software that would adjust it all on set curves automatically, you won't want to change the pump speed as often manually. Just set and go.

As for the flow sensors, it all depends on what you want. Here are some examples.

I personally use this flow sensor with this bay display adapter. The adapters basically convert the rotations from the flow sensor to GPM/LPM etc.

Here's a newer version of the flow sensor with a non display adapter which you would plug to your MB header to give you the RPM readings, which I also own.

Here's a AIO Display Adapter + Flow Sensor if you wanted a less cluttered setup if you will while having it tucked to the side and able to read it through the case's side window.

Basically the display adapters will actually do the formula for you. The adapter without the display only shows it in RPMs as there's a formula out there to figure out what your GPM/LPM are.

Back