• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fairly new to Water Cooling Need Advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Forget about a flow meter and water temp monitor. I have never cared about either. Plug the PWM into the fan header and make sure the pump is running. That's all you need. The difference in water temp between the hottest and coolest water is like .5c. It doesn't spend a second anywhere in the loop. As long as you are happy with the temps of the CPU and GPUs, that's all that matters. I have the Malestron V1. The wires for the temp probe came out of the molex connector, so I just cut them off.

Its not mandatory but if he wants he can.

I already have a Koolance INS-FM17N flow meter and the cheap ADT-FM03 Freq adapter. I was just wondering to to convert its input to gpm. I now understand the rpm reading is the same a ml/m. I found this web site I am hooked up to the CPU PWM and it reads like at idle around 2200 for about .58 gpm. But surly that's not correct. Max full speed using that would only be about 1.17 GPM. Its rated for like 240 GPH or 4 GPM correct. also my tubing is 7/16" id so now how that would change the rpm. But they use 3/8" and 1/2" on the same setting so I would guess it would be ok.

I'm not sure the fan expert is working properly the AI3 one. My top fans are running @ like 650 rpm idle. front fans I have no idea, and need to check and see if there is a header plug I missed for reading the rpms.

I just ran a quick automated tune from the bios it came in about 4.58Ghz , then ran LinX on 1024 memory and temps hit mid to high 90's,, 98 being the highest. That's not acceptable. Now all the fans and pump did ramp up but jeez I expected way better than that.

Ok I figured the Auto Tune is kind of like GB's Easy Tune 6, it way over volts things. I finally kind of figured out how to set a couple of things in the bios. Things are way different in ASUS bios. Anyway this is more like it... I can maybe see 4.8GHZ

Last edited:
240GPH is just the pump pumping water through tubing with no restrictions. You can't figure out the flow based upon RPM unless you know the diameter of the impeller and what the restrictions are through each part. Just use the flow meter. It measures X amount of water passing through it in X amount of time.

4800 is about all you will get. The only time I hit over 5000 completely stable was this CPU, which I sold for a 200.00 profit and the temps were excellent under water.

5.0.jpg

Last edited:
I do know this when the pump goes above about 3700 rpm it starts to be really audible, 4300+ very loud. Is this normal? I never hear my XSPC pump running no matter the conditions.

Last edited:
That pump just came out, but if Swiftech modeled it after the DDC series, you shouldn't hear a thing after the air is bled and you have it decoupled from the case. I have four of the older MCP35X and once the air is gone, they are silent @ 4500 RPM.

I'm make a video later on... I see no visable bebbles in the res or coming back out of the loop so I suppose all the air is out of the system.

EDIT: You got me thinking about air in the system, so I removed the reservoir cap and ran some heavy tests that usually made the noise. I guess I burped it LOL for a lack of a better term. Pretty much quite now...:attn:

Last edited:
EDIT: You got me thinking about air in the system, so I removed the reservoir cap and ran some heavy tests that usually made the noise. I guess I burped it LOL for a lack of a better term. Pretty much quite now...:attn:

Awesome! :clap: The bleeding process in a loop to absolutely remove the air/bubbles can take weeks to maybe even months believe it or not. Obviously, depending on how often the loop is ran. But nonetheless, that's great news.

Conners, OUTSTANDING job. I used to a have a single GTX780 Classified WC but just went to dual Sapphire Tri-X R9 290s in CF watercooled with the EK blocks. We will have to compare benchmarks. I bet your 4790k beats my 3930k!

Conners, OUTSTANDING job. I used to a have a single GTX780 Classified WC but just went to dual Sapphire Tri-X R9 290s in CF watercooled with the EK blocks. We will have to compare benchmarks. I bet your 4790k beats my 3930k!

IDK man tri vs dual... What's the specifics of the challenge?

The R9 290s are only two gpus, not three..

The confusion is my reference to TRI-X. This refers to the 3 fans when using the air cooling thus the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X.

I suppose so then but I rarely OC my vid cards. These are my 1st xfire cards I have ever had. Well out side I tried to xfire a 6950 with a 6970 (Sapphire). Not great results as the 6970 would want to run @ 6950 speeds, so that didn't last too long. LOL. But sure I enjoy a challenge, what tests? BTW I came close to buying those same cards. I really like Sapphire cards.

What the heck is this noise? I know it's the pump and surly this can't be normal...

Last edited:
What the heck is this noise? I know it's the pump and surly this can't be normal...

View My Video

If the fans aren't on and zoned in on the noise I also believe it sounds like the pump. Shut it down. There might be a bubble lodged or just a bad pump.

Did you just start the pump or has it worked before no problem?

THe pump has been running 24/7 since I got it installed a week or so ago. It just started that noise yesterday.

THe pump has been running 24/7 since I got it installed a week or so ago. It just started that noise yesterday.

Yeah, try moving the case around. If the sound persists, I would RMA the pump. It sounds horrifically loud. Me thinks its going bad.

I would advise on opening and checking out the pump but that would void the warranty so your best bet is to RMA it.

Yeah, try moving the case around. If the sound persists, I would RMA the pump. It sounds horrifically loud. Me thinks its going bad.

I would advise on opening and checking out the pump but that would void the warranty so your best bet is to RMA it.

I disabled one fan set at a time still the pump noise. I shutdown the system ad shook it all around, still the pump noise. Sent same video to Swiftech and the are going to RMA it. That's twicw now for the Maelstrom V2. Happens again I'm going to need a refund and a different Bay res/pump.

Back