• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fairly new to Water Cooling Need Advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conners

Hi all new to the forums. I am currently planning a new build and have already purchased 2 ASUS R9 290 Direct CU II OC and a EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 power supply with red individually sleeved modular cables.

I am planning on the following: ASUS Maximus VII Formula, 4790K, Corsair 760T case (white) and probably either 32 GB G.Skill 2400 MHz Trident if not Corsair Platinum's. Also 2 - 250 GB Samsung 840 Evos.

I have used an XSPC kit on my current rig but, I want to do a custom loop.

Now the MB has a Cross Chill cooler already mounted on the MOSFET using your supplied G1/4 fittings. What I want for now is to cool that, and the CPU. I really hate to add blocks to the GPU's right and void the warranty, but I may have to. Any way if. you guys could come up with a good rad, fans pumps, res. fill/drain system and all else I would appreciate it. I do realize that if I do have to cool the GPU I would probably need an extra loop just for that.

Thanks in advance! :attn:

Last edited:
Id ditch the Formula for a lesser but still as effective board, and unless you know you can use 16GB or close to it, 32GB is massive overkill... as well as the speed. 2133 CL9 is plenty unless you are benchmarking. I also wouldn't cool the motherboard either (not needed at all). Now that said, if you still WANT it, that is your money, but... just want to let you know you can easily save a ton of jack. ;)

You should be able to do this in a single loop...

Check out the sticky threads so you can get a knowledge base going as well.

I will step aside and let the experts do their thing. :)

You can add a waterblock without any problems, just don't tell them you did it. Removal of the stock heat sink does not void the asus warranty as long as you reinstall it before you send it back for rma. If you do watercool those cards, you will need a lot of radiator area to keep them in check. 8x120 ought to do the trick for the whole loop.

Id ditch the Formula for a lesser but still as effective board, and unless you know you can use 16GB or close to it, 32GB is massive overkill... as well as the speed. 2133 CL9 is plenty unless you are benchmarking. I also wouldn't cool the motherboard either (not needed at all). Now that said, if you still WANT it, that is your money, but... just want to let you know you can easily save a ton of jack. ;)

You should be able to do this in a single loop...

Check out the sticky threads so you can get a knowledge base going as well.

I will step aside and let the experts do their thing. :)

All this +1.

Also, why two SSDs? Just get one bigger SSD.

Do you have a link to the XSPC kit? Those are usually just bundles of the same parts we use for custom WC.

All this +1.

Also, why two SSDs? Just get one bigger SSD.

Do you have a link to the XSPC kit? Those are usually just bundles of the same parts we use for custom WC.

Well I have two SSD's on hand and will prob raid them.

I'm open for MB suggestions and fine with 16GB mem.

The XSPC kit on my 3770K is similar to this one XSPC

Which reminds me I have a RX240mm XSPC rad but couldn't use it when I bought the kit as it was to thick to fit in top of my case so I had to buy the thinner 240mm one.

Welcome to OCFs Conners. :welcome:

Hi all new to the forums. I am currently planning a new build and have already purchased 2 ASUS R9 290 Direct CU II OC and a EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 power supply with red individually sleeved modular cables.

I am planning on the following: ASUS Maximus VII Formula, 4790K, Corsair 760T case (white) and probably either 32 GB G.Skill 2400 MHz Trident if not Corsair Platinum's. Also 2 - 250 GB Samsung 840 Evos.

I have used an XSPC kit on my current rig but, I want to do a custom loop.

Now the MB has a Cross Chill cooler already mounted on the MOSFET using your supplied G1/4 fittings. What I want for now is to cool that, and the CPU. I really hate to add blocks to the GPU's right and void the warranty, but I may have to. Any way if. you guys could come up with a good rad, fans pumps, res. fill/drain system and all else I would appreciate it. I do realize that if I do have to cool the GPU I would probably need an extra loop just for that.

Thanks in advance! :attn:

I'm open for MB suggestions and fine with 16GB mem.

The XSPC kit on my 3770K is similar to this one XSPC

Which reminds me I have a RX240mm XSPC rad but couldn't use it when I bought the kit as it was to thick to fit in top of my case so I had to buy the thinner 240mm one.

As it been said already, all you need to water cool is your CPU and GPU. Keeping your tube routing the shortest and cleanest way possible. Loop order only matters as long as the reservoir is naturally feeding the pump as the water temp in the loop will eventually reach equilibrium. Let us know if you're not going to use your existing kit and looking to buying a whole new custom setup and if you have a budget etc.

With the 290s and a CPU, that will be a good amount of heat. Either go with a external MORA3 rad/res/pump unit or you'll have to buy a case that will accommodate all the radiators needed. Since you'll look to get less ram, the saved funds from that could be used towards a really nice water cooling friendly case.

If you want a silent rig @ full borem, you'll need low FPI, thick rads with low to mid silent fans. If this is the case, than you'll need something a bigger case than the 760T. 760T is a nice case but you're limited to a certain amount of heat surface. If not, than I guess you could use our 2 existing radiators but will have to have the fans ramped up on them. Usually thin radiators are high FPI rads.

Radiator and fan compatibility:
- Top:3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm
- Front:2 x 140mm or 2 x 120mm (2 x 140mm LED included)
- Bottom:1 x 120mm
- Rear:1 x 140mm or 120mm (140mm included)

If you're still looking for a big case, take a look at the Corsair 900D.

Welcome to OCFs Conners. :welcome:

As it been said already, all you need to water cool is your CPU and GPU. Keeping your tube routing the shortest and cleanest way possible. Loop order only matters as long as the reservoir is naturally feeding the pump as the water temp in the loop will eventually reach equilibrium. Let us know if you're not going to use your existing kit and looking to buying a whole new custom setup and if you have a budget etc.

With the 290s and a CPU, that will be a good amount of heat. Either go with a external MORA3 rad/res/pump unit or you'll have to buy a case that will accommodate all the radiators needed. Since you'll look to get less ram, the saved funds from that could be used towards a really nice water cooling friendly case.

If you want a silent rig @ full borem, you'll need low FPI, thick rads with low to mid silent fans. If this is the case, than you'll need something a bigger case than the 760T. 760T is a nice case but you're limited to a certain amount of heat surface. If not, than I guess you could use our 2 existing radiators but will have to have the fans ramped up on them. Usually thin radiators are high FPI rads.

If you're still looking for a big case, take a look at the Corsair 900D.

I am looking to buy a whole new custom loop. Cost is kinda important but of course as cheap as possible. I really don't know WC costs. I did look at a couple ok EK blocks for the GPu and they were approx. $100 each.

I'd rather keep things internal.

I have the Corsair 760T Case ordered already but it has this capability. Although not sure it would be enough with the two GPU's.

Radiator Mount Locations

Front: 240/280mm
Top: 240/280/360mm <-- would loose the top drive bay for this...
Rear: 120/140mm
Bottom: 120mm

360 + 240 is what I would do... with some solid fans... that is a lot of wattage to dissipate.

360 + 240 is what I would do... with some solid fans... that is a lot of wattage to dissipate.

I concur. The R9 290's will dump some serious heat in the loop. I'd recommend the 360 rad for those, then use the 240 for the cpu. Trust me the 4790K is quite the heater on it's own once you start ramping up the clocks on it.

I'm using a single 360 just for my cpu to tame it. My vid card is still air cooled so it's plenty cool with the 2x120's I've attached to it.

Well, heat and temps are different things...(example, a bonfire with yellow flames and a lighter with a yellow flame are the same temperature, however the amount of energy/heat the bonfire puts out is WAY more) wattage is the key here. :)

Well, heat and temps are different things...(example, a bonfire with yellow flames and a lighter with a yellow flame are the same temperature, however the amount of energy/heat the bonfire puts out is WAY more) wattage is the key here. :)

Of course ;)

He just dropped some SCIENCE

Also I didn't see any motherboard suggestions after you asked, so I'll throw out ASRock Extreme 6 :)
Supposed to be a fantastic board.

What do you think about the Maximus VII Hero? Pretty close to the Formula. BTW I want to stay away from GB if possible. I have two already and want to try something different.

Also singe the 760T comes with 2 140mm front fans would using a 280 be a better choice?

What do you think about the Maximus VII Hero? Pretty close to the Formula. BTW I want to stay away from GB if possible. I have two already and want to try something different.

Also singe the 760T comes with 2 140mm front fans would using a 280 be a better choice?

The Maximus VII Hero is overpriced for the feature set.

I'd go with a company who has the some of the best customer service as well as the quality and features of a board.

I would also agree and going with a 360mm up top, while losing a 5 1/4 bay and a 120.2 in the front. I would recommend going with the Black Ice Nemesis GTX 240mm and 360mm. But before doing so, make sure you take measurements. The thickness of both rads are 54mm each and add another 25mm for the fans in push configuration which would give you a total of 79mm total.

I would than grab some budget rad fans like the Helix120 PWM and grab a PWM splitter for the fans in a push configuration.

As for the pump and reservoir, well that all depends if you want to use up your last 2 bays. If you're still willing to go with a bay reservoir, I'd take a look at the Swiftech Maelstrom V2, pump/res combo.

As for the waterblocks, average full water block goes for $130ish +/- range. Use this tool to figure out which full water blocks are compatible with your cards. Once you're done and decide to order from Performancepcs, ask them if they have those exact model WBs in stock at their store instead of ordering from EK.

For CPU WBs, I'd take a look at another newly released Swiftech XL CPU WB. Great selection at performancepcs with custom designs by them or your own illuminated design.

Whats left is tubing, recommend Primochill Advanced LRT and barbs or compression fittings. Of course you'll want all of this in a loop filled with distilled water and a silver kill coil in the res.

Majority of my recommendations have been newly released products in the past few months and should be good to go if you choose to go down that path. I also made sure to link you to Performancepcs since they are based in Florida and shipment shouldn't take as long as it would from Frozencpu located in NY to your location. ;)

Hope this helps. :salute:

Raiding SSD drives actually causes a performance loss and not a gain. Do a search of it, you'll see. For 1, Windows will load slower. You are losing the SSD speed because the RAID has to initialize first. RAID on practically all motherboards is software based and not hardware.

Just want to say thanks to 24 dude and everyone else who's replied. You gave me plenty to think about. Oh when you do the gpu block do you also need the backplate?

Back