• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 8.1 Disk or ISO (Already Have Product key)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I am seriously considering a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. Unfortunately it comes only with W8.1 so I will probably do a clean install with a version of W7 I have left in a three pack (Please - no response on how good W8.1 really is). However, I want to retain the option of reinstalling 8.1 on it in the future but the Surface does not come with disks. I will obviously have a legal 8.1 Product Key so where can I get the an 8.1 disk or ISO without having to buy an entire new version with a different Product key?

Well, it turns out to be a moot concern. I found out W7 cannot be installed on the Surface Pro so reinstalling W8 will not matter. I immediately installed Classic Shell. It does not give it a full W7 experience but it is close enough.

Thanks again for the help above.

You warned people not to try to suggest a solution while keeping Windows 8 so we didn't post about that.

Classic Shell should make the user interface indistinguishable. There is zero reason to install Windows 7 for UI reasons, since Classic Shell can make Win8 identical to Win7 UI-wise.

Can you post what's missing?

Here's how to disable annoying Charms:
ClassicShellDisableCharms.png

Here's an identical Windows 7 Start Button if you don't have one, for example:
ClassicShellStartButtonImage.png

Save the button file to computer then browse to it:

Attachments

• ClassicShellWindows7.png
    ClassicShellWindows7.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 127
Of course you can't run Win 7 on a Surface Tablet. MS never intended anything but 8/8.1 to be run on them.

Back