• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC finally died on me, need a very budget friendly replacement.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MX5J6

So it finally happened. My computer died on me and it's really not worth fixing again. The m k me I spent trying to fix this older computer I'd rather save and put it towards something more up to date.

I am studying to go back to school and study chemistry and physics and I will need a computer for school work. I am also an avid LoL and WoW player. I would love to get into slightly more demanding games but nothing more than some polished MMOs or the occasional shooter. My budget is around $500 I'd say. I can try to save more but I don't really know what my options are in this kind of price range. Any thing I buy I'd prefer to go to newegg for if not amazon or something of the like. So, do I have a leg go stand on? Or should I try to salvage this thing one more time?

GotMC.jpg

If you do you can prolly squeeze a very decent gamer together. If not, you may want to look at used market some. Especially for GPU maybe. There are alot of 280, 280x, 290's on the market for good prices that are left over miners.

Also regular upgrades are selling off their z87/ivy bridge's to go z97/devil's canyon and you could find some good deals.

What all do you not have to buy?
Monitor, case, mouse, kb, OS?

I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Other than that I will have to start from scratch if I want to build something. Is there a certain place that's best to look for quality used components?

Just a quick example of what you can come up with. This can be fine tuned, I just quickly selected parts and it's under $430.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($51.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.89 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $425.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-13 20:08 EDT-0400

He can grab windows for $20 - $50 over at G2A or HardForum classies.

Here's what I put together, because it makes me happy to try.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 740 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($74.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($55.18 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $473.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-13 21:26 EDT-0400

For quality used components look in the classifieds sections here . If you want to buy new and save, go to a Micro Center.
I agree. Ebay can also be useful, but when buying used products try and get parts that are from companies like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Corsair, Intel and EVGA (i think) that are based on serial numbers and not attached to the person with the original receipt. There are other forums too that have a marketplace.

Or if you want new listen to Nebulous and go to microcenter. May Frys just make sure you price match if you can find them cheaper online.

I've been using G2A for quite a while now for game keys, while I'm no Win8 fan, if a key wasn't legit initiate a chargeback via paypal, paypal sides with buyer 95% of the time. But there are some members over at HardForum selling Win7 and win8 keys for $50 and under as well. As far as Win8, it's not for me, people are warming up to it but whats the point... Windows 9 is around the corner.

Then again, I'm only assuming he needs a copy of Winblows.

Back