• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Desk to go along with Razer's Chroma Theme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

That Spider Guy

I'm trying to design a desk that could go along with the keyboard, mouse, and headphones in Razer's Chroma Full Spectrum gaming set. Basically, the desk would be a wood box, someone thin, with glass on top. The top of the box would be covered with holes, and in those holes would be LED's and motion sensors, so that when the mouse went over a particular area, that area would light up. Now, this is just an idea, but I really have no clue about motion sensor capabilities and limits. If anyone could help me in finding a way to make/buy these small motion sensors, that'd be great. I also may need help with the wiring inside of the box. As far as I know, the Motion sensors would come in pairs sort of, one throwing out the beam or signal, or infrared, and one receiving it, and when the infrared from the one throwing it out reflects off an object like a mouse, the receiver would get the reflection, and send a signal to the LED's telling them to light up, and obviously certain sensors would be connected to certain LED's.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Better than seeing your computer, is not seeing it at all! OR at least not hearing it.

1) Vent control. IE using an AC vent in the summer versus not using a heater vent in the winter is a free up grade.You will have more cleanup duty. (depending on the age of your home HVAC)

2) Build a desk that is modular, 2 pedestals and a top. I chose standard rack component size for obvious reasons. Or build your desktop double bullnosed so you spin it around to change from left to right. (IF you chose different sized pedestals).

3) Go at least 36 inches in depth. You might think 24 fits better with LCD's but you have nothing left to use.

I really enjoy a good desktop mod. I will sub if you are building it.

Have you come up with the basic layout yet?

I understand you are focusing on motion sensors and lighting but a comfortable setup is going to be more pleasing to you in the long run.

LEDs are very simple to wire up, your basic always on LEDs will just connect up to an inverter with an optional on off switch.

The motion sensors I am not sure about. You will also want to make sure the transparent or translucent material you are going to use to cover the LEDs still allows your mouse to function. I am not aware of any that will. Would not be fun to have your crosshair stop moving while you slide over a piece of plexiglass.

Back