• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Depressing...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luke1978

Pretty bad when you can afford almost any upgrades you can think of (As in, anything except a titan card) And just cant justify the cost/performance increase :(. Love to go intel, either Z97 and an i5 or i7 k series, but what would I really gain real world over my 4130? Thought about a 780ti or 290X but they are both pretty late in the cycle... and my 270X plays all the games I play just fine (even thought about the R295X2). Already got a decent SSD in my M500. 16gb of RAM is overkill for me. Only things I can think of are a larger monitor (27" 1080p) or a higher res monitor + new GPU. but 1080p is fine for me. Still would like to get a NZXT H440 though. :bang head

I'm in the same boat as you, I was all amd, they offer nothing that relates to fun now so I went intel, 4790k.
my 2 770's do all I really need or want so my only real upgrade and fun path would be to get 3 titans to go after jiccman in the overclocktagon then it would be all over!
so I am folding with my rig and wait for new toys to come out and am thinking about hacking and clocking mobile stuff to entertain myself.

Well, for a true HTPC you'll only be pushing to one TV/Monitor so that would depend on The resolution.

I'm in the same boat as you, I was all amd, they offer nothing that relates to fun now so I went intel, 4790k.
my 2 770's do all I really need or want so my only real upgrade and fun path would be to get 3 titans to go after jiccman in the overclocktagon then it would be all over!
so I am folding with my rig and wait for new toys to come out and am thinking about hacking and clocking mobile stuff to entertain myself.

I can relate to this. Even my HTPC is doing all I need it to do, kids and grandkids are well set. I'm working more, when it's not too hot, on a benching station. But no need to spend on anything out of necessity. Although I did buy a USB 3.0 32Gb stick and copied all our digital photo collection onto it, locked it away. The spring of 2015 will be interesting hardware-wise so I'm sitting on the urge to spend until then. It's liable to be a bit pricey.

Pretty bad when you can afford almost any upgrades you can think of (As in, anything except a titan card) And just cant justify the cost/performance increase :(. Love to go intel, either Z97 and an i5 or i7 k series, but what would I really gain real world over my 4130? Thought about a 780ti or 290X but they are both pretty late in the cycle... and my 270X plays all the games I play just fine (even thought about the R295X2). Already got a decent SSD in my M500. 16gb of RAM is overkill for me. Only things I can think of are a larger monitor (27" 1080p) or a higher res monitor + new GPU. but 1080p is fine for me. Still would like to get a NZXT H440 though. :bang head

Get some cheap R9 270's and fold with 'em :thup:

I was pretty happy with my 3570k and Z77 board with a 7870. Handled every thing I threw at it on a 40" monitor. The way I justified the new upgrade was because I had an opportunity to sell the chip, Z77 board and vid card in one swoop. After that what i paid out of pocket for the upgrade was $60 to offset the cost of the 7970 WF3 card ;)

So all in all 60 bux for a complete upgrade wasn't too shabby I 'spoze :D

New gaming mouse, mechanical kb, gaming headset?

This might be nice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236293

Get another 270X and play with some crossfire?
Already have a gaming mouse I'm happy with, just got a new headset a couple weeks ago, and am waiting for a ttsports meka g unit (?) Mechanical keyboard to arrive. I'm on the fence about crossfire. I'm pretty sure I want a larger monitor though. Just need to decide what res I want to play at. Things are kind of on hold though because.... although I couldn't justify an upgrade to my pc, I could justify buying a motorcycle. Lol

Speaking of gaming headsets, does anyone know of a good wireless set? Was looking at the skullcandy plyr1 set. $189.99 price tag has me hesitant. I know they make good stuff because I have been using hesh headset everyday for 2 years, but is that headset worth it? G
Could you guys give some alternatives? Wireless is really what I'm looking for

Also how do you remove key caps from a mech keyboard? I'd like to remove all mine and clean them somehow. Dust build up etc.

I was pretty happy with my 3570k and Z77 board with a 7870. Handled every thing I threw at it on a 40" monitor. The way I justified the new upgrade was because I had an opportunity to sell the chip, Z77 board and vid card in one swoop. After that what i paid out of pocket for the upgrade was $60 to offset the cost of the 7970 WF3 card ;)

So all in all 60 bux for a complete upgrade wasn't too shabby I 'spoze :D

Did the same thing last year, just for an excuse. 3770k to 4770k and about the same $$.

Back