• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clarification on psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PHP:
48a on the +5v rail tells me that this is a very old ATX spec. PSU. This was made for use on mobos before the 4 pin +12v was used. It's totally inadequate for todays hardware. Most of the draw today is on the 12v rail. Back 10 years ago it was on the 5v rail.
You need to replace that before you kill something.

amused me no end reading that in charecter Scotty :D

More dilithium crystals needed :facepalm:

wairting for bloody psu to come but stuck with what I have for the meantime.

didn't switch it on last night but propably can't stop myself doing so during the weekend.

Random they are both great PSU's. You're comparing Mustang to a camaro. They are both fast and they will both get you plenty of speeding tickets if that's your game.

I would say if you are concerned about PSU temp then don't get the RM. Stick with the EVGA. The RM is a silent PSU and the fan only kicks on under heavy load. This creates alot of heat. I love the silence but I wasn't expecting the increased heat.

Increased heat where? PSU's exhaust out of the case... I guess unless its upside down in the bottom of your case...?

No. The RM850 is a semi passive PSU with a single 135mm fan that only kicks in at 40% (I believe) load. It does have over heat protection but that doesn't kick in until 40c.

I have mine mounted at the top of the case. Since I rarely hit 40% it sits and collects the rising heat.

Ok. I knew it was something like that. Anyhow, my point is it gets pretty darn warm.

I'm not going to dare attempt to multi quote at this point. LOL
Couple things:

1) Earth dog was correct, most modern homes have 15 or 20 amp limits per circuit. So @ ~120V that's about 1500W or 2000W potentially max. As I said, that's per circuit (think your circuit breaker), however, unless you're plugging in your computer in your kitchen on your fridge/oven circuit, you're basically going to have 90+% of that top limit available to your computer.
The point is, with a 500,750,850 watt power supply, don't even give it a second thought whether or not you can pull that much wattage from the wall - you can.

2) Now, more importantly, I didn't need to read past "cheap" in your PSU description to reach this conclusion, but when I made my way to "ebay" it affirmed my feelings :p
-->Take your PSU out back and shoot it. Never skimp on power supply, EverEverEver. Go grab yourself an EVGA unit at whatever wattage you need + some overhead (extra) so that you can rest assured you have a quality power supply that will deliver everything you need without cooking your entire computer and razing your house down - if you don't take that PSU out back, it'll take you out back sooner or later.

3) Just to touch on your concern with the PSU pulling in hot air - I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned, but if your case is tall enough (read: the legs give it enough lift off the ground for airflow), just flip the PSU over so that it intakes air from outside the case (ambient instead of hot internal air). This will help keep the PSU as cool as possible :)
Edit: Make sure the case has cutouts below the PSU for this airflow option first, but any case worth it's salt does.

Best of luck to you! And remember, NeverNeverNever skimp on power supply! :thup:

thanks all,

I am goin to 850 I think and cancel the EVGA .

now regarding point 3 from GearingMass
"
3) Just to touch on your concern with the PSU pulling in hot air - I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned, but if your case is tall enough (read: the legs give it enough lift off the ground for airflow), just flip the PSU over so that it intakes air from outside the case (ambient instead of hot internal air). This will help keep the PSU as cool as possible
Edit: Make sure the case has cutouts below the PSU for this airflow option first, but any case worth it's salt does."

If i flip it, my psu is mounted on top and if fliped then it will face the metal so that is not an option .

please let me know if I misunderstood you.

now regarding point 3 from GearingMass...

If i flip it, my psu is mounted on top and if fliped then it will face the metal so that is not an option .

please let me know if I misunderstood you.

Nope, you understood it. If your PSU is up top, and there's no ventilation holes above it, then yes, that's not an option. That's more for bottom-mounted PSUs, but I thought I'd mention it.

Just keep it where it is then and make sure you have good airflow through the case :thup:

Not to mention it will only mount one way.

Wait, what are you referring to? Pretty much all cases and PSUs I've seen have screw holes for right-side-up or upside-down mounting - it just depends on whether or not the cutouts are there for the fan.

The options may be more limited for top-mounted PSUs, but I can't speak from experience with that type of PSU mount :/

Wait, what are you referring to? Pretty much all cases and PSUs I've seen have screw holes for right-side-up or upside-down mounting - it just depends on whether or not the cutouts are there for the fan.

The options may be more limited for top-mounted PSUs, but I can't speak from experience with that type of PSU mount :/

You can't just turn it over. ;)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 27
Back