• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Working on increasing my farm.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I got a Dell Core i7 920 machine for very little $$$. I had intended to get folding with several GPUs that I have laying around. Unfortunately, the Dell XPS I got only has one PCIe x16. I'm presently working on getting another MB to hold all three GPU's. By winter time, when the guys who scaled down for the summer start to ramp up again, I hope to add my GTX 770, 660Ti and 460 1 GB cards to the fold. Combine those with my 2x R9 280x's and GTX 560Ti, I should be able to stay in the top 15 this winter. :comp:

I welcome any challengers to the FOLD. :burn:

I got a Dell Core i7 920 machine for very little $$$. I had intended to get folding with several GPUs that I have laying around. Unfortunately, the Dell XPS I got only has one PCIe x16. I'm presently working on getting another MB to hold all three GPU's. By winter time, when the guys who scaled down for the summer start to ramp up again, I hope to add my GTX 770, 660Ti and 460 1 GB cards to the fold. Combine those with my 2x R9 280x's and GTX 560Ti, I should be able to stay in the top 15 this winter. :comp:

I welcome any challengers to the FOLD. :burn:

I don't want to sound stupid- but what is folding?

Don, here's a just for grins that I looked back up. I thought I remembered something to this effect which impacts your efficiency when considering more advanced cooling of GPUs. I don't have a Kill-o-Watt so have no personal measure to compare to the article, but it is something to consider; near the bottom:

http://www.legitreviews.com/nzxt-kr...oler-review-on-an-amd-radeon-r9-290x_130344/5
44 watts drop? Hmmm...

Interesting, If the pump draws less than 44 watts, or you run multiple cards, there could be substantial power savings. :thup:
I don't want to sound stupid- but what is folding?

It's when you have your CPU and/or your GPU's folding proteins found in the human body. The results of how these protein "fold" help with drug research and help with researching cures as well.

Basically, everyday in out bodies, proteins fold - literally, they fold into other proteins. This project gets your computer to simulate this much faster than our bodies can fold. Therefore we can find cures faster and create better more effective drugs to combat cancers, Alzheimer's etc.

In a nutshell. Stanford University is studying how proteins fold. This takes more computational force than most super computers have. Stanford has found a way to break up the computations so that ordinary computers can crunch small chunks and then Stanford can combine the results together to get the information they need. World wide, we are all part of the worlds largest super computer in a sense.

It is thought that by learning how proteins fold, that they can hopefully cure cancer, Alzheimer's and the like.

People install the FAH (Folding At Home) or F@H client on their machines. The program uses your CPU and/or GPU(s) to do the math. Each work unit (WU) returned earns the user points. Most users look at their ppd (Points Per Day) to see how they are doing. These points are worthless except as bragging rights and to compare your progress overall.

overclockers.com is team #32 and we are currently 4th in the world. This is a team full of pride. This is an active team who likes to have some fun. This is a team who believes in the cause and is getting it done. :)

Please feel free to join us. We will help you get started into you new addiction. Folding.

Also I am doing a search for my user name and it is not coming up with anything:
from HERE am I doing something wrong or do I just need to wait. The web control says I have 963 pt per day.

Also I am doing a search for my user name and it is not coming up with anything:
from HERE am I doing something wrong or do I just need to wait. The web control says I have 963 pt per day.

Put your username here, and check you email account for your passkey.

then hit "config" (the gear icon in the top corner of the advanced control console) then there you can configure your username and passkey to get bonus points.

Also, make sure you are folding for Team 32 (That's us!) :thup:
I can provide pics later, after my exams.

Put your username here, and check you email account for your passkey.

then hit "config" (the gear icon in the top corner of the advanced control console) then there you can configure your username and passkey to get bonus points.

Also, make sure you are folding for Team 32 (That's us!) :thup:
I can provide pics later, after my exams.

Thanks got it set up- Off to work I go and I will see what happens when I get back.

The stats are not real-time, so it can take a while before your username is credited. The official FAH stats update at the top of every hour, though if a WU is submitted too close to it, it might not show up until the next update; e.g., if a WU is returned at 9:58 a.m., it probably will not make it into the 10 a.m. update, but will make it into the 11 a.m. one. EOC, which is the stats service you linked to, is a third-party site that updates once every three hours.

The stats are not real-time, so it can take a while before your username is credited. The official FAH stats update at the top of every hour, though if a WU is submitted too close to it, it might not show up until the next update; e.g., if a WU is returned at 9:58 a.m., it probably will not make it into the 10 a.m. update, but will make it into the 11 a.m. one. EOC, which is the stats service you linked to, is a third-party site that updates once every three hours.

Stats are messed up right now. Just an FYI.

I've been folding non-stop, but my points aren't increasing

Back