• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Finally saved up for my first build....Leaving console gaming forever!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roundhands

Registered
Hey guys,
I'm looking to build my first system and my budget is around £1400and hoping to get all the components ordered this weekend before i blow all my cash!

I am hoping to build a future proof gaming system which if needed in the future i can upgrade from 1 to 2 graphics cards (SLI). Where possible i would also like to keep noise to a minimum and i will also be over-clocking. Any feed back/changes would be much appreciated especially on the motherboard as i am really unsure what to pick.

part-picker list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/roundhands/saved/wLFbt6

Total: £1400.19
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core £163.14
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid £78.73
Motherboard MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 £83.96
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 £126.10
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD £160.00
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM £68.34
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB Superclocked ACX £442.54
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower £84.98
Power Supply Corsair 760W ATX12V / EPS12V £119.63
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) £72.77

Thanks!

Get an EVGA SuperNova G2 750W or 850W.
The AX series from Corsair is great, but you pay through the nose for stuff you don't need.

I would consider a better motherboard (not necessary, just personal preference).
The ASRock Z97 Extreme4 or Extreme6 would be a very nice step up.

Look in to getting 2x4GB of RAM if you're only gaming. You can always add two more sticks later.
This would be a good set

Thanks a lot for the swift response!

Yeah I agree i may have gone overkill with 16gb, I take it G skills are a tried and trusted brand?

So will the Msi motherboard cause me problems when upgrading in the future or overclocking?

I will definitely look into the ASRock motherboard though for sure!!

G.SKILL is all I use for desktop equipment.
The $/performance is some of the best, they're tried and true, and have a lifetime warranty.

The MSI won't necessarily cause problems, but it is definitely a later choice to me after Gigabyte and ASRock.

You mention going from console to pc. Do you have your peripherals already? Monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset\phones\mic, etc.

G.Skill is a brand I've always recommended and will continue to do so. Great RAM and great CS. As for 8GB or 16GB, personal preference really, but for me personally with side projects in rendering applications and Photoshop and so on when multitasking, 8GB was simply not enough. If this is just a game machine, no AutoDesk or similar memory intensive tasks, 8GB will save you money.

The G55 is alright as it has 8 power phases so will stand through basic overclocks, but as suggested look at the Extreme 6.

I agree on the power supply though, Corsair is a great brand for power supplies, if you want to stick with them go HX series (for price difference) or check out Seasonic such as the Seasonic X650, it tends to be on sale quite often, at least in the states. EVGA has been doing great in the power supply sector too as mentioned by ATM.

yeah I have Keyboard, mouse, etc except the monitor....However currently i cant afford this so my system would be running either through my Tv via HDMI or through a very, very, very old monitor until i can put the money together.

I have added ATMINSIDEs suggestions including the Extreme 6, and its actually saved me a good £60....which im very happy about seen as from what you guys say i am actually getting better parts (all be it less RAM)

I will only be gaming though so 8gb should be more than adequate.

The only other things are.....

1. Am i getting the right Graphics card for the money?
2. Should i replace the stock fans in the case?

Right I will add those to my parts list!

Already looking forward to putting this together....may be a bit of an update from my laptop and 10 year old £400 Desktop that is deafeningly loud!

I guess the only thing left to do is to work out how to get the airflow working to its best potential, however i guess this should be done when i actually have all the parts!

Thanks very much guys!!! And as i am not buying till tomorrow feel free to add any other suggestions!

Airflow:
Front fans - Intake
Rear/Top fans - Exhaust

I'd put two of the Hyperborea in the front, one in the rear.
I'd put the two included fans in the top.

Again Thank you very much.
One other thing, a friend has suggested to me that 750w power supply would not be sufficient if i upgrade to 2 way sli in the future, do you agree with this?

Probably not. But running a 1000w psu when you need 600W isn't ideal either. A 780 will last you quite a while until you multi monitor or 4k resolution. I would wait until you're ready to drop another 550L on another card, 500L on a 4k monitor or 2-3 monitors before stressing about your psu.

Cheers for that Bob4933, you make complete sense.....i really am a year or 3 off upgrading to that sort of rig!

Oh really, well that's great to hear!
Someone else also said that I should downgrade from 500Gb to 250Gb SSD...do you think 500gb is overkill for the boot/ OS?

Oh really, well that's great to hear!
Someone else also said that I should downgrade from 500Gb to 250Gb SSD...do you think 500gb is overkill for the boot/ OS?

I would keep the 500GB since you can afford it.
OS's and games are constantly getting larger, 500GB is a great size.

I have 3-4 modern games and W8 on my 250GB and it doesn't feel "cramped". Unless you really want/need to install your whole game library on the SSD, I think you can save the $100 or so and get the smaller drive.

What do R9 290s/290Xs run where you're buying?

I would keep the 500GB since you can afford it.
OS's and games are constantly getting larger, 500GB is a great size.

They do keep getting larger, but with the savings from the smaller drive and a few other part changes mentioned above, he could have enough to grab a monitor?

Yeah its defo within budget although quite expensive, I'm more than happy to keep it.

The r290xs runs around £399.99 so not a lot cheaper than the gtx780 6gb, if i was to go down to 250gb ssd id be down to £1250 although some fans and maybe lighting to go on top of that. (although i have no clue on lighting and i guess that is for a different thread)

You could downgrade to the 290x (not a huge loss anyway...), lower your ssd, and squeeze a decent monitor in there. Playing on a TV just sucks lol

Back