• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what might I gain running neked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I bought my first "real" intel kit, and asrock extreme9 and a 4790k.
I seem to have hit the lottery and got a very good one.
it will run prime stable at 4.9 all day long.
I really, REALLY want to get it into the 5's.
will deliddig get me there? or will I just ruin a very good cpu?

C/D From the 4790k's I've seen come across the forum that are non ES samples. The one you have seems to be one of the better ones out there. Is delidding really worth the risk for 100-200 Mhz?

No guts, no glory.
Worse comes to worst, you're out an i7. Which sucks, but isn't the end of the world.....

I'd do it :D

I'm with Manny, C_D. You have one of the best runners I've seen so far and I vist quite a few sites. This would indicate to me that your TIM is doing it's job already and you probably wouldn't gain much but fleas if Mama found out you broke your new toy on purpose.

I'm in the dog house at home now for not being home enough so i will be out of sight.
from what i have seen, nobody is gaining a whole lot in terms of mgz or reduction in vcore, it looks like it opens the temp headroom and that's where i seem to need it.
one other thing i notice is that the os image must have no corruption at all and for benching i have to reimage the disk at the first blue screen.

Can't you just hook it up to the MORA?
For images yes the master needs to be clean and I usually go a few blues before I re-image anything. Depends on when it crashes as well at startup is the most damaging I think.

yes, it's hooked to the mo-ra, i seem to be at the limits of the heat the ihs and block can move, that's why getting neked is on my mind.

one other thing i notice is that the os image must have no corruption at all and for benching i have to reimage the disk at the first blue screen.

You re-image drives the first time you blue screen? You must be re-imaging a lot.

I don't usually re-image my benching drives unless I'm swapping to a different board, or totally hosed the OS from a very unstable overclock.

I'm running individual installs for every setup though, and don't have a "master image" for any of my stuff. Don't have a drive duplicator, so there's not much point in having a master image on a specific drive. Plus I've never set one of those up and am not familiar with how to do that.

Voting de-lid here as nothing but good can come from it, except in some rare cases...

Cooler temps = headroom for voltage = higher oc. Looking between 10c and 20c drop in temps block to silicone, some guys like liquid metal for TIM replacement and also see considerable drop in temps.

to be able to run at max mgz it's every blue screen or i have to raise a voltage or losten the ram.

about 10c will let me get to 5.0 with all four plus the four threads and that is what i am looking for.
I expect very little gain, I just want to run at 5.0!!!!!

Settled with 4.9stable on 3770k. I know exactly how you feel. Now running 3ghz amd cause its fun....

Massive voltage for 5ghz, temps over 80c will shut it down fo sho.

And loosen the ram. That's fine Intel = loose and fast, AMD = tight, fast as possible. Rule of thumb.

I have read that about intel and ram, with this it's faster and tigher is better, remembering i just came from all amd.

Actually the one area I gained in delidding with CLP on die, was at 5ghz and higher. My 4.7 and 4.8 OC's needed the same vcore for prime 28.5 stable before and after delid, however for 5ghz dropped vcore quite a bit. If you can run 4.9 well, you may likely get 5 with delidding.

Prior to delid:
5ghz cinebench R15 needed 1.47vcore to run 80% time stable, 1.45v instant freeze.
5ghz could not run prime 27.9 blend.
5.1ghz max spi32m
5.2ghz max suicide

After delid:
5ghz cinebench R15 need 1.38v ran many times without failing.
5ghz can run prime for 10mins without failing, temps ok, but with vcore 1.47, not runnning much longer.
5.1ghz cinebench stable with 1.47v
5.2ghz spi32m stable
5.3ghz max suicide

The max I can run prime 28.5 blend is with 1.44 vcore, otherwise pulls too much current (even though all overprotections at max) and my motherboard causes instant reboot.

yeah, havent even booted without HT on. These are all after delidding, couldnt do any of the 3 prior to delidding.

aida64 for an hour at 5ghz 1.38, same vcore for CB R15 at 5
aida64_5ghz.jpg

5 ghz prime 27.9 blend 1.47v, 10 mins only, too high vcore to run long
5ghz_prime10mins.jpg

5.1ghz CB R15 at 1.47
CB1041_5100_48.jpg

I think i need to order some stuff and teardown my rig........

Dam C_D you got mad lucky with that chip! Congrats! :clap:

Mine is doing 4.7Ghz and 1.3v rock steady stable. Haven't tried for more yet. Had to delid as temps where crazy bad. One of the cores hit 100c with P95 after about 15min. Once I delided temps dropped about 20c across the board.

Before delid: 4.7Ghz @ 1.35v
After delid : 4.7Ghz @ 1.3v

You're right at that 5Ghz door. I say off with it's lid and bust through it! :D

Not every chip is overclocking better after delidding. Most are running at lower temps but are not overclocking higher. If your CPU's cores have low difference in max temps , like 3-4*C then delidding will not help you much.
You are also not benching on cold etc so risking to damage so good CPU to make 100MHz higher result is not best idea.

Back