• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard sizes ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whiterabbit391

Registered
I'm looking for a motherboard to replace the one in my Dell Optiplex GX620.

I did a little research so I wouldn't have to bother you guys....., but

it seemed like a Micro ATX, but looking at the dimensions of some of the ones for sail on ebay, alot of them say 9.6"x9.6"

I double checked, and mine is 10.5"x10.5"

any explanations?

another question.

So if it's an LGA 775, so they all have pretty similar holes for the hink sink?

The only reason is , It's a project computer at this point, and I've gutted it and painted it, and I want some color in there.

Since Micro BTX isn't the most popular size,
the only one with any color is the red Gateway motherboard.

{ Don't poke fun of me for looking for a colored motherboard, this is just an aesthetic project at this point }

But looking at it now I think I might have my answer, the Socket typed has no connection to the heat sink hole placement does it ?

another question.

So if it's an LGA 775, so they all have pretty similar holes for the hink sink?

The only reason is , It's a project computer at this point, and I've gutted it and painted it, and I want some color in there.

Since Micro BTX isn't the most popular size,
the only one with any color is the red Gateway motherboard.

{ Don't poke fun of me for looking for a colored motherboard, this is just an aesthetic project at this point }

But looking at it now I think I might have my answer, the Socket typed has no connection to the heat sink hole placement does it ?
They should. They just can't drill 4 holes where they want for the cooler lol.

I'd wager they are in the same place as an ATX type board.
I could be wrong though.

The socket is the socket, more or less. So a 775 heatsink should fit like 95+% of the time.

MicroBTX is going to be hard to replace. If you're modding, you might be better off to buy a MiniITX or MicroATX board and drill your own mounting holes for the standoffs into the case.

A s775 heatsink will fit any s775 board. The size of the board does not change the holes relative to the socket.

A s775 heatsink will fit any s775 board. The size of the board does not change the holes relative to the socket.

This +1

The socket and heatsink dimensions/layout are mandated by the CPU manufacturer.
The size of the motherboard is not.

Not true I'm afraid.

I had a Dell XPS 700/710/720 board that I worked on and it was LGA775, but the mounting hole pattern was proprietary specifically to Dell and only fit a special Dell heatsink. I tried a standard LGA775 heatsink but it wasn't even close to fitting. Dell used a much wider hole spacing than the standard LGA775 boards do.

Not true I'm afraid.

I had a Dell XPS 700/710/720 board that I worked on and it was LGA775, but the mounting hole pattern was proprietary specifically to Dell and only fit a special Dell heatsink. I tried a standard LGA775 heatsink but it wasn't even close to fitting. Dell used a much wider hole spacing than the standard LGA775 boards do.

QFT. I've run into this also, not just on 775 either.
Much of OEM still remains proprietary. Check and double check before you buy anything aftermarket for OEM replacement.

So after the last two posts, I reiterate my suggestion to drill your own standoff holes for Micro ATX or Mini ITX. Micro BTX is a form factor that is almost never used. If you want a board that can overclock well, you need a form factor that is more popular in the enthusiast market.

Just drill some holes and get a good ASUS, Gigabyte, or ASRock motherboard in a form factor that still fits.

So after the last two posts, I reiterate my suggestion to drill your own standoff holes for Micro ATX or Mini ITX. Micro BTX is a form factor that is almost never used. If you want a board that can overclock well, you need a form factor that is more popular in the enthusiast market.

Just drill some holes and get a good ASUS, Gigabyte, or ASRock motherboard in a form factor that still fits.

If you swap to ATX or ITX you'll need a new PSU. They're not the same as BTX to the best of my knowledge.

If you swap to ATX or ITX you'll need a new PSU. They're not the same as BTX to the best of my knowledge.
Electronically they're the same. It's just the cables exit on the other side. You still have to be careful about proprietary wiring though if using on an OEM. Vice versa if using an OEM PSU on an aftermarket board.

Sorry, that could have been worded better.

I said it like that because the OP has a Dell Optiplex with a microBTX board.

I understood you. I just straightened it out for those maybe that didn't. You're all good bro. ;)

Back