• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coming Soon: Windows 9 currently codenamed "Threshold" Public Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, winderps upderps indeed. :facepalm:

What if you're on the desktop and not the start screen? You must select settings, when the search defaults to apps only. Extra click vs. Win7. Why in the world are the apps and "setting" items separate anyway? I'm sure MS has some convoluted logic that explains...

Does it occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, the reason why so many people make Windows 8 out to be inefficient because *gasp* it is?

To "work on servers all day" you really don't understand Windows...

Does it occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, the reason why so many people make Windows 8 out to be inefficient because *gasp* it is?
WSUS isn't in use? That would solve the checking for updates issue handily. You point the update server setting to your WSUS and approve/deny updates there. I've used this type of setup and it is incredibly simple. You don't even need to configure each station, as you'd specify the configuration in the domain.
Repeating this for clarity.

Yes, winderps upderps indeed. :facepalm:

What if you're on the desktop and not the start screen? You must select settings, when the search defaults to apps only. Extra click vs. Win7. Why in the world are the apps and "setting" items separate anyway? I'm sure MS has some convoluted logic that explains...

its literally no different i dont get it, instead of a small start menu in the corner it takes the whole screen and looks good. i dont get whats so difficult about it. people act like the world is going to end because something looks nicer lol. i especially love it for my htpc as the metroui is controlable with a remote control but thats different.

its literally no different i dont get it, instead of a small start menu in the corner it takes the whole screen and looks good. i dont get whats so difficult about it. people act like the world is going to end because something looks nicer lol. i especially love it for my htpc as the metroui is controlable with a remote control but thats different.

Cross-platform compatibility!? How dare you, sir!?

Yea, back on topic, I'm looking forward to W9. I think I've learned my lesson about judging an OS too quickly with 8 and am excited to give something new a try. :)

If the preview is available on Sep 30, you should be able obtain the .iso directly from Microsoft.

They're fast tracking Windows 9... I suppose it makes more financial sense to do that rather than include Classic Shell option (just the option) with Windows 8 and pretty much resolve all Windows 8 problems with a three second Windows update which would give users the option to switch on Classic Shell instead of waiting for Windows 9. :shrug:

When talking to people, you hear that vast majority of users have their eye on Win9 because they think it will bring back the full Start Menu, they don't even know or care about any other Win9 features... :(

Interesting read, thanks for posting 'Cuda340.

I have never used Win 8/8.1 I've just stuck with 7 but people who I know that have bought PC's and Laptops all have said how Win 8 is rubbish because it's harder to use with the tile system, and how they all want the classic look back if they found Win 9 did this they would all upgrade in a heart beat.

Video of leaked Windows 9 build shows off the new Start menu

Get out a small pinch/shovel of salt......

Earlier today, we got our first look at build 9834 of Windows 9 and in this new video we can see the new Start menu in action. As expected, by adding new tiles to the menu, it will grow in size to accommodate the tiles and brings the Start screen experience to the desktop.

Seeing that this build, which was sent to partners, is outside the walls of Redmond, there is a good chance that it may leak in full. Clearly the folks over at Winfuture.de (site is in German) have their hands on it already.

From this video, we can see that you can turn off the Start menu if you prefer the Start screen.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is still an early build of Windows 9 and many features are still not enabled in this particular build. Before you jump to conclusion that this is what the final product will look like, let us remind you what Windows 8 looked like in its early days.

Source

There will be unofficial leaks hitting the web soon. Even though it's unofficial, imo they will have MS's blessing.

Last edited:
Windows 9 leak shows how to make the Start menu look like Windows 7

Another video for anyone who might care......

The Start menu is likely to be the highlight for many users of Windows 9. While it went away in Windows 8, the feature is making a triumphant return in Windows 9 and now we have a second look at the menu.

One thing is clear, this build will likely leak in the near future as it is now outside the hands of Microsoft and partners clearly have no issue with handing over the bits to the blogs. Posted below, we have a second video that shows off the Start menu but this time, we can see what happens if you remove all of the Modern apps.

If you want a Windows 7-style Start menu and have no intention of using Modern apps, Microsoft has good news for you. After removing all of the apps, you get a Start menu that looks a lot like the one from Windows 7.

While these partner builds do not contain all of the features that will be shipped with Windows 9, we are starting to get a good taste of some of the more basic elements.

Source

Back