• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Piledriver FX-6300 on Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Really weird. NO hassle at 2000 with the old mobo, struggling to get 1866 with the new one. The old one was GIGABYTE GA-A55M-S2V http://www.gigabyte.pl/products/page/mb/ga-a55m-s2vrev_10 BTW.

I've just succeeded with 1866 with some blind tweaks. I've just uploaded BIOS grabs to the same folder http://1drv.ms/1psEgdB

All in all I'm about to get close to the limits of my cooler. This is why I'm starting to look towards RAM OC. What I also plan to do is a proper ArmA benchmark: CPU Bus and NB vs pure Multiplier overclocking. Plus voltages of course.

EDIT:
One more thing. Even though I manage to boot into Windows, I get 4096 of my memory marked as hardware reserved very soon.

EDIT2:

Which one is it on my mobo? 'NorthBridge Volt Control' or 'CPU NB VID Control'?
Ah, got it:

'CPU NB VID Control' then.

You're talking about two different platforms, you can't compare memory overclocks like that...

You're talking about two different platforms, you can't compare memory overclocks like that...
The memory pieces are the very same and the difference is striking. Are you saying that FM2 Llano is a dream machine for RAM OC? :)

The memory pieces are the very same and the difference is striking. Are you saying that FM2 Llano is a dream machine for RAM OC? :)

I'm saying AM3+ has always run better with low memory speeds and tight timings.

FM2 is better with high memory speeds and looser timings, because of the integrated graphics.

This CPU, AMD FX-6300, according to AMD supports 1 stick per channel of DDR3-1866.

So that I can water cool or use a big-arse air cooler as well, I run G Skill "Ares" super low-profile ram in 2 x 4 gig size DDR3-1866 @ DDR3-1980-ish overclocked at Cas 9 normally and that is a very good sweet spot unless you can have a good enough IMC and mobo and ram to run beyond DDR3-2400 as there again you cross a sweet spot that will allow a shade more memory performance but not much. Plenty of DDR3-2400 ram gives problems so not a done deal so far as we have seen. We have shied away from most Kingston lately as some have had serious problems. Not everyone but enough to steer me elsewhere. For some reason the later bioses on these boards going into new service are having issues with reading the correct ram SPD and have to be setup manually. I run older bios for that reason. Brand new Revision boards will likely not have the luxury of an older bios. About it.
RGone...ster.

@ATMINSIDE
@RGone
Holy moly! I forgot to check what memory speed my mobo AND on-CPU memory controller support! Doh!

This explains why the BIOS sets my 1600 memory to 1300 by default.
It also means at 1600 I did OC already :)

What do you guys recommend for me then? To pursue:
-1866 with lose timings
Or
-1600 with tight timings?
Please keep in mind that it's all for gaming and nothing else.

Here's a data sheet for my memory sticks http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX16C9B1BK2_8.pdf

Last edited:
AM3+ prefers something like 1600-1866 CL8 or CL9.
FM2/FM2+ prefers 2133-2400 CL10-CL11.

You want the speed on the FM2/FM2+ platform because of the on-die GPU.

The memory specs contain very little data compared to the number of options in BIOS DRAM settings...

The memory specs contain very little data compared to the number of options in BIOS DRAM settings...

Yes, it is typical for memory specs to have most of your primary timings, but not mention secondary/tertiary.

What is written on the side of the ram is nowhere near all the timings that make up the complete ram timing set for sure. Most of the plethora of ram timings are programmed into the SPD and why I mentioned many of us using older bioses since some of the later ram is not being setup too well with newer bioses. Most especially this problem is with the XMP settings.

From your ram specs we can see this:
DESCRIPTION
HyperX KHX16C9B1BK2/8 is a kit of two 512M x 64-bit (4GB)
DDR3-1600 CL9 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) 1Rx8 memory
modules, based on eight 512M x 8-bit FBGA components per
module. Total kit capacity is 8GB. Each module kit has been
tested to run at DDR3-1600 at a low latency timing of 9-9-9 at
1.65V. The SPDs are programmed to JEDEC standard latency
DDR3-1600 timing of 11-11-11 at 1.5Volts.

So what that says is your ram is DDR3-1600 with timings of 9, 9 , 9, X, X since they do not mention the last two normally seen when buying ram. That DDR3-1600 ram is rated to run CAS 9 at 1.65Volts. Or CAS 11 at just 1.5Volts.

Sure you can run that ram with an FX processor on an AM3+ mobo. I would set ram to 1.65Volts or maybe add 0.05V to that voltage number. Make sure CAS is set to 9 and then the other two settings to 9. Maybe then you can OC ram slightly to DDR3-1700-ish or so and see if it is stable.

The G Skill Ares ram I run is DDR3-1866 9, 9, 9, 24, 39 at 1.5V, so quite a bit easier to run at DDR3-1866 for sure, with 2x 4gig sticks for 8Gig total ram.

It is up to you to see if the ram can run overclocked and still be stable for a couple of hours of P95 Blend mode. Some ram by design is easier to use but if one puts his stuff to the test and adjust accordingly...well only the testing will tell the tale.
RGone...ster.

Thank you guys!
As my part I'll make sure to post everything from my tests.

There are a few great articles on anantech.com about ddr3 ram and their performance impact on games and clock vs latency. It even has a graph comparing the performance of all ram speeds vs different cl latency. My ram is 2136 at cl9 (changed from 1600 cl11 and I noticed little to no FPS increase, but it could be due to the game I play. I still have a CPU bottleneck. (It's a MMO game)

Basically, at the most your system might seem smoother but in my opinion is was not worth the $70 upgrade I did from 1600 to 2133 ram. My 6300 CPU is still the bottleneck. And I'm at 4.8ghz now. Although if playing the right games, you might get 10% improvement in performance, which anandtech shows.

RGone...ster.
Thanks!

There are a few great articles on anantech.com about ddr3 ram and their performance impact on games and clock vs latency. It even has a graph comparing the performance of all ram speeds vs different cl latency. My ram is 2136 at cl9 (changed from 1600 cl11 and I noticed little to no FPS increase, but it could be due to the game I play. I still have a CPU bottleneck. (It's a MMO game)

Basically, at the most your system might seem smoother but in my opinion is was not worth the $70 upgrade I did from 1600 to 2133 ram. My 6300 CPU is still the bottleneck. And I'm at 4.8ghz now. Although if playing the right games, you might get 10% improvement in performance, which anandtech shows.
ArmA 3 is a messed up game using an ancient unoptimized engine that has its ways. It's also not just a game

Thanks.

BTW, I intended to do arma-only benchmarks. If anyone could recommend an under 3 minutes all-around CPU benchmark, I'd give it a go.

OK, I did some wrestling with the memory. It looks like it won't go anywhere near 1700 at 1.65V even with the default lose timings. Then I tried 9-9-9 timings with 1620 at ~1.6V that has been working for me so far. It failed. The memory is really touchy anywhere 1600 already.

The only 9-9-9 @ 1.65 set that let me (merely) boot to windows without the '4096 hardware reserved' was 1600 (I had to step down with the CPU Bus a bit).
So:
1600 9-9-9 @ 1.65V
Hardly an improvement over:
1620 11-11-11 @ 1.55-1.6V
in my opinion.

I'll be returning to banging the CPU. Yesterday I played ArmA for few hours straight at 4655 with that 1620 RAM :shock: I'll start bringing down the VCORE step by step and I think I'll settle for that result.

Not bad at all man...

...GA-78LMT-USB3 and Black KHX16C9B1BK2/8 those two with an FX-6300 would never
have been my choice. But after all is said and done...4.65Ghz is not so shabby either.
Don't know what you are cooling that cpu with and not real sure how hot it is on the cpu
and the package temps under P95 Blend loading so a few holes in the info realm.

1. Those 6300's should run 4.9Ghz pretty regularly for 24/7 use with some good cooling.

2. Either the board or the ram or the cooling is likely holding up a march much higher in
cpu speed. But you do not have a ton of money in the rig either plus you still have your
other rig.

3. At 4.65Ghz, nothing but a real 4.9Ghz would be much of a performance boost.

A 100Mhz does not do much for real performance use. You are about dead on one sweet
spot so that is good. Especially so if you can back up the Vcore a bit for daily use.

4. Would have to see a full set of screen captures of every ram setting in bios to stand
any chance of tweaking the ram any better. It would be absolutely trial and error and
that depending on what actual secondary and tertiary are adjustable in bios.

5. So overall probably a pretty darn good setup for daily use.
And certainly so if you can manage to scale the cpu voltage back any. Good show man.
RGone...ster.

...GA-78LMT-USB3 and Black KHX16C9B1BK2/8 those two with an FX-6300 would never
have been my choice. But after all is said and done...4.65Ghz is not so shabby either.
Don't know what you are cooling that cpu with and not real sure how hot it is on the cpu
and the package temps under P95 Blend loading so a few holes in the info realm.
Cooling:
CPU: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=AURAS+WAVE+LPT-709 blowing up at max RPM

Case: heavily modified CoolerMaster Gladiator, sealed and fited with a powerful exhaust fan Enermax T.B.Silence UCTB14P running at its max RPM; basically the case has a very strong ans streamlined flow now. The mobo and CPU are so close to the 140mm fan that in normal use you could do fine with stock cooler... with the fan completely removed (desktop stuff, not gaming obviously)
Pressure balance through increasing/decreasing the bottom side opening.

VRM: a silverstone 80mm monster blowing on it

antec truequiet pro 120
Enermax T.B.Silence UCTB14P
http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_2&lv0=4&lv1=32&no=146
silverstone fm83 - this thing could probably fly off at max RPM :D
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=136&area=en

Stability testing:
I do stability testing only by playing ArmA, guilty as charged. I'll get to it later on. And even then not as those 'you need to Prime95 it for 24 hours in a testing heat chamber' blokes do :)
The highest noted CPU temp I've recorded was 65 deg C (HWMonitor). Hence I called it a day with the CPU OC and I plan to go down with VCORE. I haven't noticed any throttling.

2. Either the board or the ram or the cooling is likely holding up a march much higher in
cpu speed. But you do not have a ton of money in the rig either plus you still have your
other rig.
Definitely the CPU cooler for now.

4. Would have to see a full set of screen captures of every ram setting in bios to stand
any chance of tweaking the ram any better. It would be absolutely trial and error and
that depending on what actual secondary and tertiary are adjustable in bios.
I'll upload them soon (DRAM settings page). EDIT: Uploaded, same onedrive link.

Pic below:
The silverstone fan is missing and the driver bay is normally blanked and sealed. Sorry for the poor quality.

Attachments

• WP_20140811_005.jpg
    WP_20140811_005.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 1,066
Last edited:
In that pic you're feeding warm air from the GPU to CPU cooler.

You need to spin that cpu cooler around so it's blowing towards the back of the case.

Next you need to put a 120mm fan back there expelling warm air out.

Unblock those pci slots so that Gpu can breathe.

Maybe with that new cooler and a pair of fans in push/pull config it might help.

Back