• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this normal for the R7 260X?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zSean

Hey, guys!

So today I was playing Max Payne 3 while monitoring my GPU on my second screen and I couldn't help but notice that the GPU load was fluctuating A LOT.
You can see that in this screenshot:
Or if you need the full GPU-Z window:

And my specs are:
GPU: MSI R7 260X OC 2GD5
CPU: FX-6100 OC'd 4GHz (Liquid cooled)
Motherboard: Asus M5A-78L-M LX Plus

Is this normal? I feel like the GPU should be at a constant 90%-100% usage shouldn't it? Keep in my mind this was during actual gameplay, not cut-scenes. I also noticed that the hard drive that the game was running off of was at around 0%-10% usage, for the most part. Is there a problem or is all of this normal?
Thanks.

EDIT: To add to this, the game does stutter quite a bit. It'll be at 60FPS but also be stuttering.

Do you have vSync enabled?

What driver version are you on?

Oh, sorry. Probably should have included that. No, I don't have vsync enabled and I am using the 14.7 beta drivers (tested on 14.4 but still the same result)

Have you verified that the CPU isn't throttling and causing the stutters?
That motherboard doesn't have a great VRM section.

Does the issue persist on other games besides Max Payne 3?

Have you verified that the CPU isn't throttling and causing the stutters?
That motherboard doesn't have a great VRM section.

Does the issue persist on other games besides Max Payne 3?

The only other game I can think of is Battlefield 4. But from what I've heard, a lot of people still have that problem with the game so I figured it wasn't my system. By the way, I've tried without the OC and still the same result. Any possibility that it's my HDD?

HDD won't cause graphical stutters like that, but you could check the SMART status to make sure it's good.
I use CrystalDiskInfo for that.

So all games besides BF4 and MP3 are good?

HDD won't cause graphical stutters like that, but you could check the SMART status to make sure it's good.
I use CrystalDiskInfo for that.

So all games besides BF4 and MP3 are good?

Yeah, that's right. Also, I just decided to set my WHOLE BIOS to default and I tried MP3, and all the stuttering seems to be gone for the most part. MUCH better than last time, still a few stutters here and there though, but definitely more playable now. I'll also try CrystalDiskInfo just in case. Thanks for your help!

Setting the BIOS to default sounds like there was a throttling issue to me.
That motherboard is struggling.

What's your case and fan setup? Model numbers and air flow directions will help a lot.

Setting the BIOS to default sounds like there was a throttling issue to me.
That motherboard is struggling.

What's your case and fan setup? Model numbers and air flow directions will help a lot.

My case would be a Rosewill Galaxy-02 and I believe all my fans are blowing outwards. I have one on the top, the side, the front and the back is just the exhaust for my liquid cooling which is a Cooler Master Seidon 120M. Everything in my PC is at good temps when I game, so I'm not too worried about that. But as you said, this motherboard is struggling which I know. I was thinking about upgrading, but I just don't have the money right now, being a student and all.

Front and side should be intake, with rear and top as exhaust.

Flip those around to match, you'll get better airflow through the case, and could assist the motherboard.

Front and side should be intake, with rear and top as exhaust.

Flip those around to match, you'll get better airflow through the case, and could assist the motherboard.

Alright, next time I clean out my PC, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Back