• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Up and died on me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Was remounting my CPU water cooler block this afternoon. I decided to do away with the stock mount hardware and do something custom to make it easier to install the block (I've been experimenting with different TIM products on the CPU water block so I'm taking it off and on a lot).

I was real pleased with my mod but when I went to fire up the computer, no video. One long beep and three shorts. Pointed to either a memory or video problem according to my research. So I removed the Radeon 7870 and replaced it with another pci-e card I had laying around and the machine booted right up. I put the 7870 back in and no go. Guess what. It was a fefurb with a 90 day warranty on it that expired yesterday.

Edited.

Last edited:
Wow. That timing is rather incredible. Who was the maker?
My condolences :(

EDIT: Err, was it the sapphire one in your signature? I keep forgetting to look at the signatures.

Yes, it was a Sapphire. I got it as a refurb from NewEgg for $129.99 three months and one day ago with reference to time of death. The odd thing was it gave no sign of impending problems. It was working perfectly fine up to that point. I had it mildly overclocked but temps never reached 80c even when stress testing it with the latest Futuremark 3D. And in day to day use the most stress it experienced was an occasional game of Wolfenstein 2009.

I removed the heatsink and there's no sign of bulging caps or fried mosfets or other component failure. The only suspicious things was that TIM was slopped all over the GPU core die. I wouldn't think they would have used a conductive TIM, however.

Last edited:
Physical damage if some sort then. :(

EDIT: Im confused, you say you have taken this thing off and on doing some testing, yet think that the factory applied TIM did the damage? Did you reuse the TIM or not clean it all off?

I mean it should NOT be the issue, but... its weird how I am understanding what you posted...

Last edited:
Just error on the side of caution did you check the stupid things that we sometimes miss Trents?
All the power cables were plugged in etc?
Did you try another Pci-E slot?

Physical damage if some sort then. :(

EDIT: Im confused, you say you have taken this thing off and on doing some testing, yet think that the factory applied TIM did the damage? Did you reuse the TIM or not clean it all off?

I mean it should NOT be the issue, but... its weird how I am understanding what you posted...

I took the heat sink off this morning to be able to inspect the circuit board components. The TIM description was of the factory application. I intend to clean it up and apply my own and retest but have not gotten around to it yet.

I still don't get it... because that poor/liberal TIM application was there in your previous experiments so it shouldn't affect a thing. The question I have is if you were playing with TIM apps, why didn't you clean it in the first place?

Its like sliding the stove out to get your kids ball but not cleaning under it while its out. :rofl:

I still don't get it... because that poor/liberal TIM application was there in your previous experiments so it shouldn't affect a thing. The question I have is if you were playing with TIM apps, why didn't you clean it in the first place?

Its like sliding the stove out to get your kids ball but not cleaning under it while its out. :rofl:

No, I was playing with TIM applications on the CPU water block. The video card was factory air cooled.

Just error on the side of caution did you check the stupid things that we sometimes miss Trents?
All the power cables were plugged in etc?

Yes

Did you try another Pci-E slot?

No, but the backup video card works fine in that same slot.

Ahh, clear as mud... got it now. I am going to get some caffeine... :p

Yes, I see where the confusion came from. When I reread my first post I see that I neglected to say that the TIM experimentation was on the CPU water block and since I was posting in the video card section it would have been natural to assume I was talking about a GPU water block. My bad. Enjoy your caffeine, ED.

You don't suppose the PSU could be the problem do you? I haven't checked the the two video card power leads for voltage. I assume they would be on the same rail as the CPU power leads so if that is true then that would not be the issue. The weenie substitute card I'm using now gets it's power totally from the PCI-e slot.

Back