• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Up and died on me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes it is, and on the bright side, you can X-fire it with a 7850 or 7870 :thup:

My 270x was X-fired with my 7850 for a bit, but no game I had used X-fire :(

Is that so? Never thought about that. Do I need some kind of crossover link cable/bridge or something to do that? Do you think my 750W PSU will be enough?

Is that so? Never thought about that. Do I need some kind of crossover link cable/bridge or something to do that? Do you think my 750W PSU will be enough?

750 is plenty, I'm running off a Coolermaster 600 watt PSU.

All you need is the X-fire bridge adapter.

As a matter of fact, I have one of those bridge adapters as it turns out. It came with a motherboard I bought. After I posted that question I looked them up on ebay and then I remembered that something like that came with a board I bought. I rummage through my motherboard boxes and there it was! Only thing is I'll have to ditch my TV tuner card as it would be so close to the air intake of the second card that heat would be a problem.

As a matter of fact, I have one of those bridge adapters as it turns out. It came with a motherboard I bought. After I posted that question I looked them up on ebay and then I remembered that something like that came with a board I bought. I rummage through my motherboard boxes and there it was! Only thing is I'll have to ditch my TV tuner card as it would be so close to the air intake of the second card that heat would be a problem.

Risers can help with that problem. ;)

Riser help yep.

If you game, most titles will use X-fire, Minecraft won't, and that's what I play so X-fire was useless for me :p

If you bench, X-fire might help with some GPU benches..

It helps in darn near if not all GPU benches.

Scaling in games is a different ballgame but no scaling is awfully rare. :)

So besides the bridge, what else needs to be done to operate in dual channel mode? Bios settings? Drivers? Or is it just up and running once you bridge the two?

And about the riser, I'm trying to envision how that would help. The Hauppauge card still needs access to the TV cable from the outside so it still would need to be mounted in an expansion slot so that the card's back plate lines up with an expansion slot opening. Am I missing something?

Its SLI/CFx, not dual channel (that is ram). You put the ribbon on, and you may have to reinstall drivers... enable in CCC and go.

You can have it rest somewhere else in the case and pull the plate assuming the wires can go through it. That is how I had one a few years back

Its SLI/CFx, not dual channel (that is ram). You put the ribbon on, and you may have to reinstall drivers... enable in CCC and go.

LOL! Yeah, I did know that! Don't know why I typed "dual channel". Brain fart I guess.

You can have it rest somewhere else in the case and pull the plate assuming the wires can go through it. That is how I had one a few years back

Bingo! It was the Liquid Ultra flakes causing a short. After removing them card is up and running again. Ran Heaven just to check it's health and passed with flying colors. High temp was 64c.

Yeah, and of course if I hadn't already bought another used video card for $100 this morning I never would have figured it out.

That's great news Trents. :thup: Sure you have another card coming but I'm sure you'll find something you can do with it.

Back