• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older AMD cards, for playing around. Mods/Benching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I am looking for an older (cheap) AMD card that i can play around.

Something in the HD3000/HD4000/HD5000 (top of the range).

Are there any cards worth looking for that could be great for learning and having fun?

Most are, yes... I would, like in the current generation, look at the higher end cards (Lightning/Matrix etc) if that is what you are going to do.

Also, if this is your thing, you should look into joining the benchmarking team. ;)

Most are, yes... I would, like in the current generation, look at the higher end cards (Lightning/Matrix etc) if that is what you are going to do.

Also, if this is your thing, you should look into joining the benchmarking team. ;)

I am looking into joining, but not until i know i can post the 20points i need to join.

That said, i wasnt really looking much at makes and special models, more like, 4870 or something, because you can mod it like so and so and achieve stupid high clocks for benching and so on.

This is as i said, practice cards, that will die at some point from over volting and so on.

But if you mod it, you want a more robust solution..meaning, not reference as the reference parts generally dont hang on long with volt mods being their power delivery area is weak.

Id say just pick a couple and go... it doesn't really matter what you pick in this context as you are not going 'against' hwbot so maximizing boints (and choosing cards) really doesn't come into play here.... yet.

That asus 4850 is non-reference.
Similar to reference, but with a different VRM setup.

This is reference: http://www.ixbt.com/video3/images/ref/hd4850-scan-front.jpg

If you're not after LN2 and world records, modding reference cards is just fine, and a good way to start IMO.

Both cards are cheap, and the 3850 x2 is just a card i want to have it.. lol.

I am now looking at 7770, but honestly, no, no LN2, at the max for now, insane aircooling. I think i'll try and go for for HD5000 and up for the DX11.

Back