• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Integer performance/$ for scientific computing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What about opteron 6164? Was looking last night at 12 cores for only about 225$ for one cpu. The boards can be pricey, but I think there are single socket boards and have no idea if the overclock. G34.

The 6164 is quite old, and probably not cost effective nowadays since it would have much lower performance per clock.

Yes, because businesses never go on eBay and buy replacement parts/servers from individuals.
And no individuals ever buy server equipment for home use.
There's also no chance I know of at least four different people on this site alone with server racks in their home.

Server equipment is very easy to sell, put it on eBay at a decent price and it's gone.

I'm sure there are individuals who buy server equipment for home use. But they are few and far between, and the chance one of them happens to want something I am selling when I am selling it is pretty close to 0.

Imagine you have a high end video card to sell, and you randomly pick 4 users on this forum (enthusiasts with consumer hardware). What's the chance that one of them happens to want to buy it when you want to sell it?

eBay is probably easier, but I would prefer selling here than on eBay, where there are a lot more scams, etc, and especially since I have 0 eBay selling experience.

I'm sure there are individuals who buy server equipment for home use. But they are few and far between, and the chance one of them happens to want something I am selling when I am selling it is pretty close to 0.

Imagine you have a high end video card to sell, and you randomly pick 4 users on this forum (enthusiasts with consumer hardware). What's the chance that one of them happens to want to buy it when you want to sell it?

eBay is probably easier, but I would prefer selling here than on eBay, where there are a lot more scams, etc, and especially since I have 0 eBay selling experience.

There's actually a decent bit of server grade parts that move through this site's classifieds....
cw823 almost constantly has stuff up, and it never lasts more than a week or two.

Also, ignoring eBay is ignoring your largest avenue for online selling.

There's also a Knoppix cluster solution. The nice thing with that is that if you're reaching dissertation time and you're just not getting your sums done fast enough, you could probably borrow a few machines from friends or anywhere and stick bootable GNU/Linux CDs in and add them to the cluster. Your friends are probably just using them to play games anyway. ;) Hell, if you get your head around the clustering and you have housemates on the same network, maybe you can use their machines while they sleep.

Again, I haven't done this myself - I just know the principles. If you have the time, take a little look at it. Might get you a lot of power per dollar and increase your flexibility.

That is very interesting. I've been thinking about building a Linux cluster for a long time. It would be a fun project :). I don't think I really have the budget for that at the moment, though.

Funnily enough, I have enough friends that use Linux on high end hardware, that I can probably just convince them to make an account and let me SSH in to use their CPU :D.

I am also firmly in the "haven't done this but only know the principles" group.

Hopefully I'll get some real experience with the university's cluster, though!

They have about 1500 nodes of quad socket quad core Sandy Bridge Xeons, mostly connected through gigabit, but some infiniband.

There's actually a decent bit of server grade parts that move through this site's classifieds....
cw823 almost constantly has stuff up, and it never lasts more than a week or two.

Also, ignoring eBay is ignoring your largest avenue for online selling.

Yeah if I am seriously selling stuff I definitely wouldn't ignore eBay. But the thing is I only sell 2-3 things a year, and it's just not really worth the hassle to learn the whole eBay system and learn how to deal with scams, etc.

Back