• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

passive cooled cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noxiousvegeta

Registered
i am thinking about buying a SAPPHIRE R7 250 ULTIMATE to play games, i like the idea to play games without having to hear the fan, the case is a coolermaster elite330 and the fans are two running at (80cfm) (shark fans) one is a front intake and one is a rear exhaust

online i only find benchmarks of people with open systems

what do you guys think? have you had any experience with passive gpus? do you think it's going to be hot in my current airflow?

(do not tell me to get other cards, because i want this one.)

if you don't want to hear that, just get the card and go with it.
you'll just have to work with the case airflow.
remember that card takes up 2 slots.

I've only had one passive card. It was DOA and was replaced with a better actively cooled card. I kept the passive heatsink though, but I haven't found anything that it will fit on yet. =/ They definitely still need some airflow from case fans directly on the card though. I wouldn't trust it with just the heatsink in stagnant air...

if you don't want to hear that, just get the card and go with it.
you'll just have to work with the case airflow.
remember that card takes up 2 slots.

room temperature is 25c
fans are two running at (80cfm) (shark fans) one is a front intake and one is a rear exhaust

i am not sure if that card will go past 75celsius or not. if it will, then i don't want to deal with that card.

what model would you guys get for the 7750? i want a silent one, that cools good (no overclocked ones, they are pure garbage)

Last edited:
*sigh*

Unless that is the best card you want to afford, that is not remotely a good gaming card. Its slow. There is a reason why it can be passive as its really meant to put an image on the screen and internet game... not mainstram game.

I would want more airflow than that personally... but nobody can tell you what temps the card will go to as every case and environment is different.

75C is fine for these cards, note. They don't throttle until MUCH higher temperatures.

Overclocked cards are pure garbage? I... do you know what you are saying? With respect I am not sure you know what you are talking about nox...:(

*sigh*

Unless that is the best card you want to afford, that is not remotely a good gaming card. Its slow. There is a reason why it can be passive as its really meant to put an image on the screen and internet game... not mainstram game.

I would want more airflow than that personally... but nobody can tell you what temps the card will go to as every case and environment is different.

75C is fine for these cards, note. They don't throttle until MUCH higher temperatures.

Overclocked cards are pure garbage? I... do you know what you are saying? With respect I am not sure you know what you are talking about nox...:(

i am building a secondary system that needs to be quiet while playing games, would the active cooled version from sapphire cool it down better then the passive one? would this tiny fan be loud? http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?pid=1454&lid=1, does this model exhaust out of the back of the card?

i can afford much better cards, but i don't need to for this system.

and by overclocked cards i meant cards sold as overclocked, i had a bad experience with a crap one, yes it was overclocked, but any game menu would bring it to 75 instantly. of course it was just my experience.

what do you guys think? should i go for the sapphire 7750 1gb ddr5
or passive r7 250 ultimate? wich would give the best temperatures, and would the 7750 from sapphire be loud? thanks:thup:

Active usually cools better than passive, certainly.

That model exhausts all over (through the i/o plate and heatsink into the case).

What games do you plan on playing with that card? Like I said, its not really suited for much after web based games...

There was something wrong with that card in your case. Buying overclocked cards from the factory is not remotely a bad thing....

As mentioned above an actively cooled card should keep it cooler better than passive.. that is just logic. As far as the 7750 being loud? I doubt it... but no idea. You can look up some reviews of that card and get a db rating and go from there... that is unless you get lucky and someone here happens to have had one and can share their experience with you (don't hold your breath though :)).

Active usually cools better than passive, certainly.

That model exhausts all over (through the i/o plate and heatsink into the case).

What games do you plan on playing with that card? Like I said, its not really suited for much after web based games...

There was something wrong with that card in your case. Buying overclocked cards from the factory is not remotely a bad thing....

As mentioned above an actively cooled card should keep it cooler better than passive.. that is just logic. As far as the 7750 being loud? I doubt it... but no idea. You can look up some reviews of that card and get a db rating and go from there... that is unless you get lucky and someone here happens to have had one and can share their experience with you (don't hold your breath though :)).

that secondary system is meant to play games at 1024x768 low graphics and locked 30 fps. I cannot find any review on the specific model i linked...and for the heat being exhausted all over isnt that dangerous? wouldn't it fry motherboard capacitators and other stuff?

Lol it won't be that much heat. Basically it's best for a card to intake air from the case and exhaust out the back, that way it doesn't increase your case temps. A lot of cards exhaust both inside and out, though.

Maybe at that res and settings it will be fine...and how/why are you locking FPS to 30 in the first place?

No. It will not fry anything, lol! Most cards, that put out WAY more heat than that exhaust in the case. Its about having proper airflow in the case to keep things cool. But no, it wont fry your mobo/caps and other stuff. :)

EDIT: I found a review (googled: "Sapphire 7750 review") - http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...raphics-cards/sapphire-hd-7750-1129438/review

I have several experiences with passively cooled cards. Presently, I only have one in use. Its an old Nvidia 240 and its in my HTPC. I have never gamed on it. I just stream video to my TV with it.

On gaming cards, all in the past, I took passive heat sinks then put on very low spinning 120mm fans. While counter intuitive with the whole passive thing, low and slow 120mm are near dead silent yet bring temps on the video card WAY down.

Keep in mind that 25 dba is considered whispering. Look for fans that fall below that mark. A 19 dba 120mm will do a lot of cooling on a passive card and you will not hear it.

Maybe at that res and settings it will be fine...and how/why are you locking FPS to 30 in the first place?

No. It will not fry anything, lol! Most cards, that put out WAY more heat than that exhaust in the case. Its about having proper airflow in the case to keep things cool. But no, it wont fry your mobo/caps and other stuff. :)

EDIT: I found a review (googled: "Sapphire 7750 review") - http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...raphics-cards/sapphire-hd-7750-1129438/review

i meant reviews about the fan noise in decibels, can't find any...
locking fps at 30 with msi afterburner for stable gameplay

anyways from what i can see in the back of the card, there is a weird thing

11202-00_HD7750_1GBGDDR5_DP_HDMI_DVI_PCIE_LBC_634648148215655054_200_200.jpg

here zoomed in
what_are_those_for.png

what are those holes for?

I'm still not sure why you would lock your FPS to 30... that makse no sense.

You also attached an incredibly small picture to the forums. I have no idea what you are referencing as you were also quite vague in your description.

I'm still not sure why you would lock your FPS to 30... that makse no sense.

You also attached an incredibly small picture to the forums. I have no idea what you are referencing as you were also quite vague in your description.

sorry, here is a bigger picture.
I am asking what are the highlighted holes for
20373_41081.jpg

AKA the "front" of the card (to me anyway).

Like I said above, some air goes through there, the rest everywhere else, LOL!

AKA the "front" of the card (to me anyway).

Like I said above, some air goes through there, the rest everywhere else, LOL!

do you think i am worrying too much about the card going to overheat and or sound loud?

the case (mid tower) im going to put the card in is going to have 2 shark fans, one intake 80cfm one exhaust rear. temperature 25celsius, and are those fans at minium loud?

do you think i am worrying too much about the card going to overheat and or sound loud?
I definitely inferred that, yes.

the case (mid tower) im going to put the card in is going to have 2 shark fans, one intake 80cfm one exhaust rear. temperature 25celsius, and are those fans at minium loud?
You mentioned this already... I wouldn't think those fans to be loud, no. There are likely reviews of those or at least a rated db level if you take a look around...

Is this the "shark" fans you are talking about?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129055

Back