• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Standalone gaming mic,soundcard and speaker questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Predje

Registered
Hello,

I've been looking for a gaming mic, sound card and speaker set to combine with my current headphones (sennheiser HD558) and came up with the following:

-Mic: Blue snowball (€66)
-Sound card: Asus Xonar DGX (€30)
-Speakers: Genius SW-G2.1 1250 (€50)

Now for my questions:
- any other/better recommendations for the same price?
- is the sound card worth it compared to my current onboard audio, Asus maximus VI Hero
- how much audio quality loss do you have when you plug in a headset through the speaker controller

Antlion Modmic, if you'd rather have it attached to your HD558.

With the cans you have, I would say the sound card is worth it.

Not really interested in attaching a mic to my headphones, I'd rather have a good standalone mic so I can use the mic without needing to put on my headphones :D

Is it worth it to go for a more expensive sound card or is this one good enough?
Considering I'll mainly use it for gaming.

Any suggestions for the speaker set?

Not a lot of people know the Modmic exists, just making sure it wasn't missed :thup:

I'll let others jump in on the sound card/speakers, not as much experience there.

Yea I checked it out when my mic on my old headset broke but went with the zalman clip on because the modmics were always sold out :D

-Mic: Blue snowball (€66)
-Sound card: Asus Xonar DGX (€30)
-Speakers: Genius SW-G2.1 1250 (€50)

Did you ever look into this one?

Here it is on the Egg.

It's basically the same thing that I run in my rig. It comes with a beamforming mic and the sound quality is actually amazing for the price. The mic itself is pretty sweet. Although, later on I ended up getting a bluetooth headset for my rig for those late night gaming sessions :D

Haven't checked that out will do that asap, would still love to have some more opinions/suggestions on this topic though

E. I've just finished reading a bunch of reviews and I'm liking it so far, except for the mic which seems to be subpar.
I have a question though.
Are there other cards where you can plug in your headphone and speakers at the same time? Does it cause any sort of problems?
I know for cheap stuff if you want to plug in both it just makes the sound of both go a lot lower.

Last edited:
If you have a good speaker setup, you'll be using the analog output for the headphones and the digital output for the speakers.

I currently do not have a speaker setup, so if you have recommendations for a decent one for around ~100$ that uses these analog outputs I'm all ears.

Currently I'm also looking if it's possible to get my hands on a used essence stx as they're the same price as the sbz, so any speaker recommendations for that card would be nice as well. It uses rca plugs though

Only get the sound card if you're interested in better sound through the headphones. The speakers will be driven off a digital amplifier and work just as well even with onboard.

Take a look at places like Goodwill for cheap speakers and receivers. Be on the lookout for receivers that have S/PDIF but not HDMI as those often go for cheap.

Back