• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How fast do Sattelites move.??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you want information on non-geosynchronous orbit, Landsat fits pretty well. It is where a substantial amount of our ground imaging comes from. Almost all of US sourced earth imaging goes through the EROS datacenter, which is about 50 miles from me. I've been in there quite a few times since I know someone that works there.

And the winner IS!!!

A slowly moving star is exactly how a satellite appears frpm the ground. It usually takes a few minutes for a satellite to move across the sky. They often appear to get dimmer and dimmer and then disappear because they move into the Earth's shadow. The later into the night you go, they will disappear higher in the sky.

Sometimes they appear to wander around the stars, but this is an illusion caused by your eyes slightly moving while comparing the stars with the satellite motion.

And the winner of the most legitimate answer is !!!!

orion456 !!

also, thanks to the others for all the sattelite tracking info.

Although it seems my idea of being the first Space Pirate is now impractical,

The idea was (give me money or I'm taking down your Sattelite !!)

it takes 160 cubic feet of helium to deliver 160 lbs of payload into the stratoshpere, but if the sattelite is moving at that rate, it would be impractical to try and destroy it. Thanks guys.

unless you had a deployable net.

a SKYNET !!!

And the winner of the most legitimate answer is !!!!

orion456 !!

also, thanks to the others for all the sattelite tracking info.

Although it seems my idea of being the first Space Pirate is now impractical,

The idea was (give me money or I'm taking down your Sattelite !!)

it takes 160 cubic feet of helium to deliver 160 lbs of payload into the stratoshpere, but if the sattelite is moving at that rate, it would be impractical to try and destroy it. Thanks guys.

unless you had a deployable net.

a SKYNET !!!

This was a contest? :sly:

You need about double the height helium can get you to, and that's the very bottom of viable orbits, nothing stays up long if it's that low.
I watched some amateur radio people communicate via LEO satellite it was about ten minutes from horizon to horizon. 18000mph is fast.

This was a contest? :sly:

nooooooo :chair:

it's just that . It's ju . jus . . just that

more than any other reply.
It described best what I was experiencing.
that viewing sattelites from the ground DO look just like a moving star,
and the reason for why the get dimmer and disappear.

Because more than about sattelites themselves,
I wanted to know if these were U.F.O's
(which to me they are, because I can't identify them, and they are flying objects)
Or if they were sattelites.
For some reason his reply just made alot of sense to me and really hit the nail on the head.
Just wanted to let him know that he really answered the question very well.
not so much that it was better than everyone elses.
just that he interperted the question very well and gave a really good answer.
It was more of a Kudos to him, wasn't trying to invalidate everyone elses reply. :chair:
Or was I ??

:: far out Theremin music playing....::

either way I realize that I am a complete and utter ****** compared to 99% of the people here who have more computing knowledge than I can get my computer to compute, which I don't even know how to do yet....

But as soon as I do. I will compute you.....and upload you consciousness onto a 80 gB hard drive, then I can talk to the Alien.

"The Alien Disguises Itself as the Psychedelic Experience. "

-Terrance Mckenna

Picturing the impact that made the crater with all the ejecta still visible makes me glad we have an atmosphere.

It is amazing to think that the rate that they move equals the rate at which they fall so that they cancel each other out. That way they stay in a geo-sync orbit. or is this something else...

It is amazing to think that the rate that they move equals the rate at which they fall so that they cancel each other out. That way they stay in a geo-sync orbit. or is this something else...

I agree it is amazing..
The Earth's gravity is only slightly weaker at the altitude of the ISS than at the surface. However, objects in orbit are in a continuous state of freefall, resulting in an apparent state of weightlessness. The ISS does slowly fall with an orbital decay of 2 km/mont. The ISS requires an average 7,000 kg of propellant each year for altitude maintenance, debris avoidance and attitude control. Based on current usage, it will need 105,000 kg through 2014. This is why the new "EM drive" or "RF resonant cavity thruster" is so appealing it takes a lot of money to take the propellant to the ISS. The "EM drive" is propellant-less and only requires electric to produce thrust, it could extend the life of the ISS indefinitely.

Chinese researchers from the Northwestern Polytechnical University Em drive prototype.
CjOyMUO.jpg

Back