• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How fast do Sattelites move.??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whiterabbit391

Registered
Does anybody know how fast sattelites move if you rae viewing them from the ground?

Because sometimes when I stargaze,

I'll notice what looks like a dim star, moving accross the sky.
then become dimmer and dimmer, until I can't see it anymore.

I know that sometimes you can see sattelites, but how fast do they move.

When I see these "stars" move, they go across the entire sky in about a minute.
Once or twice I think I see them start to move from standing still, but Im not sure if that's just because I caught it out of the corner of my eye in a weird way,

Shooting stars are white. Satelites are generally red. At least that's what I've noticed.

Satellites also down move up or down (when you are looking at them)
They'll whip across the sky horizontally.

I think it's like a few thousand KM/h they move at :shock:

I viewed one from the ground at Cape Canaveral that wasn't moving at all, just sitting there atop a rocket. I suspect it moved to get there but probably pretty slowly.

18,000 miles per hour or faster.
Why does it fade out of view?
Because what your spotting is in a highly elliptical orbit... A slingshot orbit.
Communication sats use elliptical orbits so the window of use is pretty brief and as a result they need a good few up there to overlap Communication.

Leo (low earth orbit) like hubble or the international space station is more of a 90minute to travel around the globe.

There ends my vague knowledge base...
I find plasma following techtonic fault lines more facinating... The kind of stuff commercial and military pilots dont talk of until post career and the sort of stuff nut jobs think are alien invaders :D

Maybe there are juvenile alien races that decend to violate cattle... Obvious fun waste of resources :rofl:

Well I think its them darn alien space vehicles comin to take the eyeballs from my cows. So im just gonna keep shootin at em with my .22lr till I hit one them sumbitches.

Hey whiterabbit for reference in future best ask out there questions in general discussion. :thup:
Its a no post count there. It doesnt spoil the information archive here and best of all I can be smug arsed and witty without the borg decending on my *** :D

You can always ask for this thread to be moved ;)

Peace out ocf brother...

Hmm I always though all satellites had a geosynchronous orbit. The more you know.
With that thinking, I bet Google Maps blew your mind wondering how they did it with satellites not moving above a respective point on the earth and the angles (top down) never changing. :D

Does anybody know how fast sattelites move if you rae viewing them from the ground?

Because sometimes when I stargaze,

I'll notice what looks like a dim star, moving accross the sky.
then become dimmer and dimmer, until I can't see it anymore.

I know that sometimes you can see sattelites, but how fast do they move.

When I see these "stars" move, they go across the entire sky in about a minute.
Once or twice I think I see them start to move from standing still, but Im not sure if that's just because I caught it out of the corner of my eye in a weird way,

A slowly moving star is exactly how a satellite appears frpm the ground. It usually takes a few minutes for a satellite to move across the sky. They often appear to get dimmer and dimmer and then disappear because they move into the Earth's shadow. The later into the night you go, they will disappear higher in the sky.

Sometimes they appear to wander around the stars, but this is an illusion caused by your eyes slightly moving while comparing the stars with the satellite motion.

18,000 miles per hour or faster.
Why does it fade out of view?
Because what your spotting is in a highly elliptical orbit... A slingshot orbit.
Communication sats use elliptical orbits so the window of use is pretty brief and as a result they need a good few up there to overlap Communication.

Leo (low earth orbit) like hubble or the international space station is more of a 90minute to travel around the globe.

There ends my vague knowledge base...
I find plasma following techtonic fault lines more facinating... The kind of stuff commercial and military pilots dont talk of until post career and the sort of stuff nut jobs think are alien invaders :D

Maybe there are juvenile alien races that decend to violate cattle... Obvious fun waste of resources :rofl:

LOL, bobby... take your meds please... you rambling again... :p

Don't take those meds, it's an alien mind control conspiracy to silence the resistance!

Besides, the conversation is much more interesting without the meds. ;)

Back