• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TO CLAMP OR NOT TO CLAMP.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I just got my blue primochill advanced lrt tube in.
I have never used clamps with my clear vinyl tube I just heat the barbs just so and it welds itself tighly to the bard when it's done just right.
with this primochill, will it react the same way? Or am i going to have to use those ugly clamps?

Personally I use clamps on every connection, makes it a pain to take apart but I know its not gonna leak.

I always use clamps, but not those big ugly worm screw pieces of junk.
I use the spring band clamps, the same ones used under the hood of a car like on vacuum lines. They have a small profile, never release their grip as tubing shrinks over time, and the bonus is that the oxide finish on them takes paint so nicely--you can color match/contrast your system.
It's a nice little touch.

Last edited:
You clamp bro.....every single time. There is NO chance of a leak when there is a clamp there, unless you mis-install it.

I always used small zip ties
Me too. ;)
Still counts as a clamp.

I like the idea of painting them, spring clamps deform over time and as a bonus they just break once in a while because it's a spring.
we remove all spring clamps from cars because of this.

I like the idea of painting them, spring clamps deform over time and as a bonus they just break once in a while because it's a spring.
we remove all spring clamps from cars because of this.

Apples to oranges. There is no road vibration, corrosion, or heat/weather extremes in your rig. Spring clamps will last a long long time.

Huh, the only time I've ever managed to break one was when using the wrong tool to release one (one of the little ears broke off). Vice grips aren't the right tool! :)
I use needle nose pliers when the tubing is vertical, and channel lock pump pliers when perpendicular.

I have gotten some cheap ones at Home Depot though...super thin gage metal that I tossed instead of using. I think the ones pictured are from frozencpu.

I use compression fittings, they work great :D
On the barbs... zip ties :D

Attachments

• I like LED's.jpg
    I like LED's.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 59
I strongly dislike spring clamps on cars, but WC is a totally different situation. They work well on WC if they are properly sized to the hose AND the barb. Hose wall thickness makes a huge difference in their ability.

As to clamp or not clamp, think about how much it will cost you if a hose comes loose. If it's clamped correctly, it ain't coming loose.

I personally wouldn't use clamps myself. They're a hassle especially if you don't have the proper tool to put them on and take them off. Compression is the way to go IMO. You mess one of those it's your own damn fault... and you be looking like this...:shrug:

I've been looking at the build logs and it looks like compression fittings are the way to go, if you pick the right ones and use them only at the barbs and avoid the overuse of fittings in general, angle, rotary and such it seems to look pretty good.

Back